Honored Contributor

I know a few times it as happened where I cracked expecting one egg and got two so I did go ahead and count it as two for the recipe.

So far I have never had to take some out when the recipe was calling for only one egg.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I've never even seen a double yolk egg let alone used one.  They don't seem to exist in grocery store eggs

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I've never seen a double yolk egg either @Kachina624.  I did, however, crack open an egg one time and it had what appeared to be blood inside.  I don't know, of course, if that's what it was, but it certainly looked like it.  Just a small amount, but I found it disturbing and gross.  

Honored Contributor

They are mostly in jumbo size eggs.   Albertson used to sell "super" jumbo eggs (10 to a carton).......but I haven't seen them lately.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@ImaoldhippieExtra Yolks just make recipes more fluffy. They really look strange when used to make deviled eggs, they have a double dibbet. My neighbor used to get eggs from her Father and sell them in her garage sale, and I bought 3 dozen from her and wouln't You know all were double yolks. I have never heard or seen them ever before that purchase. They must be twin baby chicks un hatched.

Respected Contributor

@ImaoldhippieWhy would that be?? But I have never found any in my purchases of store bought eggs. Go figure !!

Respected Contributor

@Citrine1I agree with the blood in the egg being gross. I pitch those out, just made me ill to have used it. I was watching a cook show, a couple of them had bloody egg and continued to move on with their recipe . Yuck! I had to change the channel, and said to my self "I Am Glad I Don't Eat At Your House" And over the years I do think twice when I am at a bake sale, or eating at some one's house what could be going on that we don't see, what they are doing when we are not watching. How naive we used to be, I think.!!

Super Contributor

At one time I had a dozen chickens for egg laying.  When they were mature enough to start laying eggs a lot of those eggs had double yolks.

A sidenote:  The white leghorn cickens produced white shelled eggs and the brown Rhode island reds produced brown shelled eggs.

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou.....................I have no idea why, I didnt ask.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Citrine1.........................my mom used to tell me never crack the egg in any mixture just in case there is blood in it.  Dont know how it gets there, but I think it used to occur a lot more often back in my mom younger days.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)