Honored Contributor

I was given a dozen double yoked eggs yesterday and now I am wondering if they can be used in baking?  If the receipe calls for 2 eggs do you use just one?  If it calls for 1 egg can you use the double yoked?

Thanks

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie

Yes! You can use 1 double yolk egg in a recipe calling for 2 eggs.

Here in the deep south, double yolk eggs are considered good luck!

(from another Old Hippie, LOL!)

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I bought a dozen of eggs a few weeks ago from an Italian market near me. They call their eggs Italian eggs. Lol! Everyone of the eggs was a double yoke. I just used it as I would a single yoke.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom......................thanks for the info.  The man gives the double yoke eggs away (he is a chicken farmer for a large company) because they are not knowingly not allowed to sell them to the grocery stores.  ???  Go figure.        Peace!

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie

peaceout.jpg

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I have had three double yolk eggs this last week and was really surprised. I just go ahead and use two eggs in my baking if it calls for them even though they are double yolked. Just makes it richer.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie

Found this:

Have you ever cracked open an egg and found two bright yellow yolks? It’s your lucky day! Eggs with two yolks are perfectly safe and are said to bring good fortune. But why do some eggs get an extra yolk and what does it mean for your breakfast?

Eggs are formed in the hen’s reproductive system, known as the oviduct. Each day, a yolk is released from the hen’s ovary and, over the course of 26 hours, is turned into an egg as it passes through the structure. Young hens, who haven’t fully settled into a laying cycle, will sometimes release two yolks at the same time. In other cases, a yolk will get stuck in the oviduct until the next day when a new yolk pushes it through – forming a double yolk.

When considering the nutritional value of a double egg, remember the yolk is a nutrient goldmine. With 13 essential vitamins and minerals, as well as 40% of the eggs’ high-quality protein. But does a double yolk mean double the nutrition? Not quite. In most cases, each of the yolks in a double are smaller than a fully formed single yolk. While the exact nutritional profile of double yolk eggs may vary slightly, it is likely similar to that of a jumbo egg.

What happens if you come across a double yolk when baking or cooking? While double yolk eggs are usually the same size as the other eggs in the carton, they may have a higher yolk to white ratio. This shouldn’t be a problem for most dishes.

However, a double yolk can cause problems in baking, where the ratio of fat and sugar needs to be carefully measured. If you’re worried about the amount of fat in a double yolk, try comparing it to yolks in other eggs in your carton to see if it’s similar in size.

http://www.eggnutritioncenter.org/blog/double-yolk-lucky/

Super Contributor

Ever since I was a small child, I looked at a double yolk egg as being my "lucky egg".    Thanks to IG I feel validated!!!!  Douible yolks make my day!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for  the info.   Very interesting.

Esteemed Contributor

I have never received a double yolk egg when grocery shopping, but when I bought mine from a local farmer, it was quite often, do the grocery store chickens have hormones of some kind maybe where the farmer had just regular chickens?