1 T fresh ginger, minced
1-1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
1 t each ground turmeric, cinnamon and cumin
2 t sweet Hungarian paprika
1-1/4 cup dry red lentils, rinsed
1 (28 oz) diced tomatoes plus their liquid
8 cups chicken stock
1 T freshly grated orange zest for garnish

In a soup pot heat olive oil over med-high heat.  Add onion, carrot, parsley, 1/2 cup cilantro and 1/2 t Kosher salt and saute until golden-brown (about 8 minutes).

Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the garlic, ginger, black pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, cumin and paprika.  Cook for 30 seconds.

Stir in the lentils, tomatoes and broth.  Bring to a gentle bubble then partially cover.  Simmer about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally until the lentils are tender and the soup thickens.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Add a little water if too thick.  Five minutes before serving stir the orange zest into the soup pot.  Garnish bowls with the rest of the chopped cilantro.  

Made this at a cooking class at out local co-op.  Delicious for a rainy day in the PNW.  

Respected Contributor

Thank you for this incredible recipe--the ingredients are wonderful and it must be a great taste...I will be trying this one very soon...

Honored Contributor

Re: SPICY RED LENTIL SOUP

[ Edited ]

This sounds yummy....I would sub the chicken stock for veggie and leave out the oil /salt.  Love the spices and I bet it would taste delish!

Esteemed Contributor

This soup sounds yummy. Is it hot spicy? 

Honored Contributor

@godiwrote:

This soup sounds yummy. Is it hot spicy? 

@godi

It is not hot - just has more flavor than most lentil soups.  If you found it too spicy a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt on top would cool it down for you.  

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for posting...this sounds wonderful!  I've tried lentil soups in the past that were kind of "blah" tasting.  This one sounds like a treat for the tastebuds!!

Honored Contributor

@lOVETOSHOPwrote:

Thanks for posting...this sounds wonderful!  I've tried lentil soups in the past that were kind of "blah" tasting.  This one sounds like a treat for the tastebuds!!

@lOVETOSHOP

I agree.  This one I really liked - hope you do also.  

Super Contributor

I printed this out and Chef Ron will be making it tonight as it's 23 degrees in PNW.   Thank you for posting this.  I will report back with reviews