Contributor

I clipped this out of the paper a while back. I finally got around to making it yesterday. I was very happy with the result. I followed the recipe, except for substituting fresh portabella mushrooms and using egg noodles. That is what I had on hand.

Pot roast

Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: about 2 1/2 hours
Serves: 6

Ingredients:
1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
2 1/2 pound chuck roast
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 carrot, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups beef broth
1 cup red wine
6 ounces tomato paste
2 bay leaves
1 sprig fresh thyme
8 ounces pappardelle egg noodles

Soak:
Settle mushrooms in a small bowl. Cover with warm water. Soak soft, about 15 minutes. Drain, rinse and chop.

Brown:
Season meat generously with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Brown meat, about 2 minutes per side. Lift out and set aside.

Soften:
Add carrot, onion, celery and garlic to the pot. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add broth, wine, tomato paste, reserved mushrooms, bay leaves and thyme. Bring to a boil. Return meat to the pot. Liquid should come about 2/3 the way up the sides of the roast. Cover.

Braise:
Slide covered Dutch oven into a 325-degree oven and let cook, turning roast once and basting occasionally, until very tender when prodded with a fork, about 2 – 2 1/2 hours. Set pot on stovetop.

Shred:
Remove meat from pot. Shred. Discard any fat. Discard bay leaves and thyme sprig. Stir shredded meat into sauce and keep warm over low heat.

Boil:
Heat a large pot of salted water. Cook noodles until tender but firm. Drain. Add noodles to meat and sauce. Toss gently. Enjoy.