Ingredients
  • 2 jicamas, peeled, diced into tiny bite size chunks
  • 2 large avocados, diced
  • 2 cups grape tomatoes, sliced
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 cup red onions, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups hatch sauce, can use salsa verde
Instructions
  1. Peel then dice jicama into small chunks. Add to medium mixing bowl.

2. Slice tomatoes in half, or quarters, add to bowl.

3. Add chopped cilantro, onions, avocados and hatch sauce, stir.

4. Chill, then enjoy!

Next ingredient: DRIED CHERRIES

Honored Contributor

Re: DECEMBER 2020 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 8.36.04 AM.png

Chicken Salad

with Pecans and Dried Cherries

Ingredients

1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed

1/2 teaspoon salt, divided

1/3 cup plain yogurt

1/3 cup mayonnaise

1 tablespoon honey mustard

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1/2 cup thinly sliced celery

1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped

1/2 cup dried tart cherries, chopped

1 head Boston or butterhead lettuce, trimmed

Directions

• Step 1

Place chicken in a medium skillet or saucepan, cover with water and add 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.

• Step 2

Meanwhile, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl.

• Step 3

When the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into bite-size pieces. Add the chicken, celery, pecans and cherries to the bowl with the dressing and toss to combine.

• Step 4

Divide lettuce leaves among 4 plates and top with about 1 cup chicken salad each.

Note: I modified this from the original recipe, because I prefer whole fat yogurt and mayonnaise.

Next ingredient: rice

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@walker I wanted to let you know I tried your creamy chicken with angel pasta that you posted last month and it was really good! My husband loved it and I told him I got it from one my recipes buddies on QVC!

Chimichurri Chicken and Rice

871AD95E-6887-44DC-9A7F-3EE5872C8F8A.jpeg

I got this recipe from Budget Bytes that was on her blog. She's one of my favorites because her food is great and economical! She gives you a run down of the approximate cost of each item. You can use a chimichurri mix or premade as well. 

Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time55 mins

Total Cost: $5.25 recipe / $1.34 serving
Servings: 4 1.25 cups each
Ingredients
CHIMICHURRI
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil $0.52
  • 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar $0.20
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano $0.05
  • 1/4 tsp cumin $0.03
  • Pinch red pepper flakes $0.02
  • 1/4 tsp salt $0.02
  • 1 clove garlic $0.08
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped $0.30
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped $0.25
CHICKEN AND RICE
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil $0.13
  • 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast (3/4 lb.) $1.42
  • Pinch salt and pepper $0.05
  • 1 yellow onion $0.41
  • 2 Roma Tomatoes $1.00
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas $0.21
  • 1 cup long grain white rice* $0.66
  • 1.5 cups water $0.00
  • 1/4 tsp salt $0.02
Instructions
  • Prepare the chimichurri first to allow time for the flavors to blend. Combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, cumin, red pepper flakes, and salt in a bowl.
  • Pull the parsley and cilantro leaves from the stem and finely chop them. Mince the garlic. Stir the parsley, cilantro, and garlic into the bowl with the oil, vinegar, and spices. Set the chimichurri aside.
  • Cut the chicken breast into very small pieces, then season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken pieces and sauté until golden brown.
  • While the chicken is browning, dice the onion. Remove the chicken pieces from the skillet once golden brown, and add the diced onion in their place. Sauté the onion until soft (about 5 minutes). 
  • While the onion is sautéing, dice the tomatoes. Once the onions are soft, add the diced tomatoes and sauté for about two minutes more, or until they begin to break down.
  • Add the chicken back to the skillet along with the frozen peas, uncooked rice, water, and 1/4 tsp salt. Briefly stir to combine all the ingredients.
  • Place a lid on the skillet, turn the heat up to medium-high, and let it come to a boil. As soon as it reaches a boil, turn the heat down to low or medium-low, and let it simmer gently for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, turn the heat off and let it rest for 10 minutes.
  • After letting the rice rest for 10 minutes, remove the lid and fluff with a fork. Pour the prepared chimichurri over the rice and fold it in to combine. Be careful not to vigorously stir the chimichurri into the rice because this will cause it to become sticky and mushy. 
  • Taste the chimichurri chicken and rice and season with extra salt if needed. Top with an extra pinch of fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish, then serve. 

Next Ingredient: CELERY SEED

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse ....I am happy to hear you, and especially your DH, liked that recipe.  I have not fixed it in awhile but I plan to in next few days. I like what you said about "recipe buddies"....I say the same!   Now onto....

NEXT INGREDIENT....CELERY SEED

(I know I have a recipe because it is in with my seasonings...now what was the recipe...ha..will look.)

Honored Contributor

@walker wrote:

@GenXmuse ....I am happy to hear you, and especially your DH, liked that recipe.  I have not fixed it in awhile but I plan to in next few days. I like what you said about "recipe buddies"....I say the same!   Now onto....

(I know I have a recipe because it is in with my seasonings...now what was the recipe...ha..will look.)

Haha! How funny that you do the same. This place has made meal planning much easier. You used to be able to send yourself a link but that doesn't look possible anymore so I just screenshot them now!

Honored Contributor

Overnight Coleslaw

12 cups shredded cabbage (1 medium head)

1 green pepper, chopped

1 medium red onion, chopped

2 carrots, shredded

1 cup sugar

Dressing:   1 cup white vinegar

3/4 cup vegetable oil

2 teaspoons sugar

1 teaspoon ground mustard

1 teaspoon CELERY SEED

1 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl, combine first four ingredients.  Sprinkle with sugar; set aside.  In a saucepan, combine dressing ingredients; bring to a boil.  Remove from the heat and pour over the cabbage and vegetable mixture, stirring to cover evenly.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.  Stir well before serving.

(Taste of Home ...Best Church Supper Recipes, pg.111)

NEXT INGREDIENT .... ZUCCHINI

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Stuffed Zucchini Boats, From Spend With Pennies

Ingredients

• 2 large zucchini
  • 1 onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 tomato diced
  • 1 bell pepper diced
  • 1 cup pasta sauce or marinara divided
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning 
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese divided

Next Ingredient:Your Choice 

Honored Contributor

Mediterranean Tomato Salad

261313A2-213F-409D-8AD1-FE1554FA7817.jpeg

Use medium size campari or cocktail tomatoes for this tomato salad. Slice into quarters from stem to stem and be sure to use a good quality extra virgin olive oil for the best fruity taste.

Course Salad
Cuisine Mediterranean
Keyword salad
Prep Time 20 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 8 servings
Calories 119 kcal
Ingredients
  • 2 pounds medium size tomatoes cut in half and then quartered (about 6 cups)
  • 2 cups fresh Italian flat leaf parsley leaves roughly chopped
  • 3/4 cup sliced red onion
  • 1/2 cup capers drained
  • 2 cloves garlic pressed or minced
  • 1/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 lemon juiced (about 1/4 cup)
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Instructions
  1. In a large bowl, gently toss the tomatoes, parsley, red onion, capers and garlic. Drizzle the olive oil and lemon juice over the tomato mixture and season with kosher salt and black pepper. Toss to coat and taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed. Let the salad marinate for about 15 minutes for the flavors to meld. Serve or refrigerate for up to 2 days.

Next Ingredient: POLENTA

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Creamy Breakfast Polenta in a bowl with bacon and a poached egg on top

CREAMY BREAKFAST POLENTA WITH

ASIAGO, THYME, BACON, AND POACHED EGGS

INGREDIENTS  
  • 5 TBSP unsalted butter, divided
  • 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 cups whole milk, plus more as needed
  • 1 cup coarse ground yellow polenta
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
  • 3 oz shredded asiago cheese
  • 4 poached eggs
  • 4 strips crisp cooked bacon, crumbled

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. In a medium saucepan melt 3 TBSP of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent.
  2. Add in the water and milk and bring to a simmer. While whisking continuously, slowly pour in the cornmeal. Continue whisking until the mixture starts to thicken.
  3. Heavily season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the thyme, asiago cheese, and the rest of the butter (2 TBSP). Add more warm milk as needed if the mixture starts becoming too thick.
  4. Serve warm topped with more asiago cheese, a poached egg, and crumbled bacon.
  5. Makes 4 servings.

Next ingredient:  Tuna, canned