Honored Contributor

Re: DECEMBER 2020 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

I made these carrots in my Instant Pot using the slow cooker function which worked great as I could also brown the butter in there so one pot no fuss and with that hint of vanilla they were delicious!

Slow Cooker Brown Butter Carrots

Serves Serves 10    

This sweet tender glazed carrots recipe gets a boost from brown butter. A secret ingredient puts these slow cooker carrots over the top!

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1-2 inch chunks
  • 1/4 cup (half stick) salted butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar or raw sugar
  • 1 or 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Mexican Pure Vanilla Extract
  • fresh parsley or sage, chopped (to garnish)
Instructions
  1. Peel and slice the carrots. I tend to like the thicker chunks of carrot, so don't go too crazy, just roughly chopped is fine. Set side.
  2. In a small saucepan add the butter. Turn the heat to medium or just above medium. Stir occasionally until the butter starts to foam and ultimately turns brown. There will be silty brown "bits" that have separated from the yellow liquid. Immediately transfer the mixture to your slow cooker.
  3. Add the salt, sugar, bay leaves, and vanilla and stir. Add the carrots and stir to coat.
  4. Cook on high for about 3 hours or until tender.
  5. Sprinkle with chopped parsley or sage.
  6. The glaze is really great drizzled over mashed potatoes too...just sayin.

Next Ingredient:  Shrimp

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe 

Omg, that looks so good! I love carrots... and butter.. and my slow cooker! 

next ingredient - shrimp

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@momtochloe 

Omg, that looks so good! I love carrots... and butter.. and my slow cooker! 

next ingredient - shrimp

Oh yummy, @momtochloe that does sound good. I'll add this to my Christmas menu!

next ingredient - shrimp

Honored Contributor

SHRIMP Linguine

8 oz. linguine or thin spaghetti

1/2 cup butter

4-6 cloves garlic, minced

12 jumbo SHRIMP, diced

1/4 lb. fresh mushrooms, diced

6 tablespoons Romano cheese, grated

1/2 teaspoon salt

fresh ground pepper

fresh parsley sprigs for garnish (or chop for topping),opt.

Cook linguine in rapidly boiling salted water 10 minutes.  Drain; rinse with cold water and set aside.  Melt butter in 10" skillet.  Add garlic, SHRIMP, and mushrooms; cook slowly in hot butter 5 minutes.  Add linguine to skillet.  Sprinkle with cheese, salt and pepper.  Toss linguine until very hot, but do not let butter brown.  Put in a warm serving dish.  Sprinkle with more cheese and garnish with parsley, if desired.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... CUMIN

Honored Contributor

Easy side dish with an interesting combination of flavors. It's very good 

tomatoes with pistachios and scallions

7ED42115-0234-48CA-ADC5-FB94A28B0FFC.jpeg

• Prep Time: 15
  • Cook Time: 15
  • Total Time: 30 minutes
  • Yield: 4 servings 1x
  • Category: side dish

¼ cup (30g) raw pistachios

1 scallion (30g)

1 ¼ pound (575g) just-ripe tomatoes (about 3 medium)

¾ teaspoon sea salt

2 teaspoons (6g) minced pickled jalapeno (I used the minced jalapeño in a jar since I don't like pickled things other than pickles)

2 tablespoons (10mL) olive oil

1 teaspoon cumin seeds, cracked in a mortar (I use regular cumin since I don't have a mortar and don't want the extra step)

• Heat your oven to 300˚F. Spread the pistachios on a sheet tray. Roast until fragrant and starting to brown, 15 minutes. Remove, let cool, and chop into mostly fine pieces. 
  • While the pistachios are roasting, trim the end from the scallion and thinly slice (slicing back and forth across the scallion, not chopping). Place the scallions in a strainer and rinse with cold water. Drain and pat dry the scallions dry in a clean cloth. Let air dry until ready to use (see note). 
  • Core the tomatoes and cut into wedges. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with the salt, jalapenos, 2/3rds of the chopped pistachios, and 2/3rds of the sliced scallions. Toss until combined and transfer to a serving bowl with any pistachios/scallions left in the bowl. Leave as much tomato liquid behind as possible.
  • Heat the olive oil in a small pot over medium-low heat. When hot, add in the cracked cumin and sizzle for about 20 seconds- just until fragrant/slightly darken in color. Remove from heat and spoon over the tomato mixture, trying to distribute as best as possible evenly. Finish with the remaining scallions and pistachios before serving.

Next ingredient: SPINACH

Valued Contributor

Black Bean and Spinach Eggrolls

Ingredients
  • 4 C black beans, rinsed and dry
  • 4 C corn, rinsed and dry
  • 2 C chopped bell pepper
  • 2 C chopped onion
  • 4 C shredded cheddar cheese
  • 4 C chopped spinach
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 package egg roll wrappers (find these in the produce department)
  • 4 tbsp olive oil, divided

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 425°.

2.  Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Stir well to fully incorporate. (If any of the vegetables were frozen, rinse under warm water to thaw. Drain them in a colander or strainer until almost completely dry. If your ingredients are too wet, the egg rolls will be soggy).

3. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil on a baking sheet and spread with a spatula until the entire sheet is greased.

4. Wrap the egg rolls. Drop roughly a heaping quarter cup of filling in the center of each wrapper. Spread out the filling to make a line across the middle of the egg roll. Fold in the side corners. Fold up the bottom corner. Tuck the bottom corner in and roll, while keeping the sides tucked and closed as well. It may seem difficult at first but you will be a pro by the time you’ve finished wrapping your fifteenth roll. Place each egg roll seam side down on the greased baking sheet. Leave about an inch of space in between the egg rolls.

Black Bean and Spinach Egg Rolls

5. Brush the egg rolls with remaining tablespoon of olive oil.

6. Bake in preheated oven for 12-14 minutes. Halfway through baking time, carefully flip each egg roll over.

Black Bean and Spinach Egg Rolls

Next Ingredient:your choice 

Super Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Easy side dish with an interesting combination of flavors. It's very good 

tomatoes with pistachios and scallions

7ED42115-0234-48CA-ADC5-FB94A28B0FFC.jpeg

• Prep Time: 15
  • Cook Time: 15
  • Total Time: 30 minutes
  • Yield: 4 servings 1x
  • Category: side dish

¼ cup (30g) raw pistachios

1 scallion (30g)

1 ¼ pound (575g) just-ripe tomatoes (about 3 medium)

¾ teaspoon sea salt

2 teaspoons (6g) minced pickled jalapeno (I used the minced jalapeño in a jar since I don't like pickled things other than pickles)

2 tablespoons (10mL) olive oil

1 teaspoon cumin seeds, cracked in a mortar (I use regular cumin since I don't have a mortar and don't want the extra step)

• Heat your oven to 300˚F. Spread the pistachios on a sheet tray. Roast until fragrant and starting to brown, 15 minutes. Remove, let cool, and chop into mostly fine pieces. 
  • While the pistachios are roasting, trim the end from the scallion and thinly slice (slicing back and forth across the scallion, not chopping). Place the scallions in a strainer and rinse with cold water. Drain and pat dry the scallions dry in a clean cloth. Let air dry until ready to use (see note). 
  • Core the tomatoes and cut into wedges. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with the salt, jalapenos, 2/3rds of the chopped pistachios, and 2/3rds of the sliced scallions. Toss until combined and transfer to a serving bowl with any pistachios/scallions left in the bowl. Leave as much tomato liquid behind as possible.
  • Heat the olive oil in a small pot over medium-low heat. When hot, add in the cracked cumin and sizzle for about 20 seconds- just until fragrant/slightly darken in color. Remove from heat and spoon over the tomato mixture, trying to distribute as best as possible evenly. Finish with the remaining scallions and pistachios before serving.

Next ingredient: SPINACH

Oh my that looks and sounds so good.  Thanks for posting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bluetail fly Thank you so much. I hope you get a chance to try it out sometime! 😊

Next Ingredient: SPINACH

Respected Contributor

Wow, it's only the 7th, and we've got some super interesting, fun and yummy sounding recipes to try!  Smiley Happy

Thanks everyone!

Next ingredient: poster's choice

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

I hope you'll try this family favorite recipe. It uses simple ingredients, is easy to make and tastes great! 

I've attached a pic. 

Turkey Puff-Over

Puffs up on sides like a popover. Great recipe for leftover turkey or chicken.

* If you have some & are up for it, add 1/2 C sliced & sauteed mushrooms to the turkey mixture. (Totally not necessary.)

*Preheat oven to 425.

Ingredients:

2T plus 1/4 cup butter

1/2 cup chopped onion

3/4 cup turkey stock

2T plus 3/4 cup flour

2 eggs

3/4 cup milk

2 cups chopped turkey

1/2 tsp salt

few grinds pepper

1/3 - 1/2 C grated cheese (we use cheddar)

*sour cream - to serve

Directions:

Sauté onion in 2T butter till soft.

Add 2T flour, stir to combine and cook for a few minutes.

Add turkey stock, & whisk till smooth & thickened.

Stir in turkey meat, remove from heat.

S&P to taste.  

Beat eggs lightly w/ milk.

Add 3/4 cup flour & 1/2 tsp salt.

Whisk briskly till smooth.

Place 1/4 cup butter in 9 or 10" pie pan or cast iron skillet. Set in oven to melt.

When butter is bubbly, pour batter into center of pan.

Spoon turkey mixture into center of that, leaving a border of batter.

Sprinkle w/ cheese & bake for 25 min., or until puffed and golden. 

Serve w/ a dollop of sour cream & don't forget the cranberry sauce!

turkey puff.jpg

Next Ingredient: wine

Muddling through...