Honored Contributor

This is my family's favorite coffee cake.  In NY, I grew up eating the Entenmann's version, as my mom wasn't a baking enthusiast.

When I moved to California I was surprised to learn that it isn't available here. After some research I realized that it's often called "NY Crumb Cake".

I've had this recipe for years, and I think it was originally from Martha Stewart, but I'm not sure. In any case, if you like crumby things, you'll love this cake. #notlowcalorie

IMG_3521.JPG

The Crumbs

I always make the crumbs first, then set aside.

2 1/2 cups flour

1 cup packed light brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

2 sticks melted butter (then cooled, but not chilled)

Mix these ingredients in a medium sized bowl. I use a fork or knife to mix. You want to produced big clumpy crumbs.

They don't look appetizing at this point, but they will be!

IMG_3511.JPG

The Cake

First, mix the following dry ingredients:

1 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

Next,  mix the wet ingredients:

1 large egg

1/2 cup milk

2 tablespoons veg oil

2 teaspoons vanilla

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in a bowl. Don't use an electric mixer and don't overmix. You want a lumpier consistency, more like muffin batter.

Pour batter into a greased and floured pan. I use an 8"x11" Pyrex baker.  Tilt the pan back and forth until the batter flows into the corners and covers the entire bottom. It may not look like enough batter at this point, but it is.

Gently lay all the crumbs on top of the batter.

Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes.  Batter peeking out from beneath the crumbs should be very lightly browned.

Cool on a wire rack until completely cooled.

Don't attempt to remove this from the pan, you will create a giant mess and ruin the integrity of the cake.

Sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar.  (You can omit this step, but it won't be a classic NY crumb cake and you'll be missing out on a real treat.)

Enjoy!

NY crumb cake 2019.JPG

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

@house_cat 

That looks delicious!  Looks just like an Entenmann's version!  Thanks for posting!  😁

Honored Contributor

I like to substitute buttermilk for the regular milk to add some tang.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I like to substitute buttermilk for the regular milk to add some tang.

I actually had some leftover eggnog and thought of using that, but I was afraid my DH would notice it - he's not a fan of eggnog. Buttermilk is always a good choice, in my opinion.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat.  Thanks for the recipe.  They quit making Enteman's crumb cake here so for several years, I was on AD for David's crumb cakes at HSN (good substitute).  I'll try yours and see if I can make my own.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Thank you, @house_cat 

Honored Contributor

YUM!!! Looks Delish. Thanks for sharing. I will have to try this one. I have never ate any Entenmann's 

Just got finished eating eggs & bacon for breakfast/lunch. LOL!!!

Esteemed Contributor

YUM YUM YUM !!!!! 🥰

Esteemed Contributor

Mmmm, I'd love a slice of that warm NY coffee cake !

Honored Contributor

Looks yummy!!!