Respected Contributor

Creamy Cajun Chicken & Sausage Fettuccine

We tried a new recipe tonight.  I say "new," but the document properties show I saved it to my files in 2015.  It got lost in the collection, but, oh boy, is it 'found' now. We loved it.  

If anyone can explain why this is called "Cajun" I'd love to learn. Whatever you call it, we Gs call it tasty.

Creamy Cajun Chicken & Sausage Fettuccine 

8 oz. hot Italian or sweet sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
2 small red and/or green bell peppers, sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
3/4 cup chicken broth
½ cup mayonnaise
fettuccine, cooked and drained

Cook sausage in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until cooked. Remove sausage to paper-towel-lined plate.

Season chicken, if desired, with salt and pepper. Cook chicken in same skillet, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.

Stir red peppers and onion into same skillet* and cook, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic and cook, 30 seconds.

Stir in broth and mayonnaise. Bring just to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1 minute. Stir in fettuccine, chicken and sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute or until heated through.

Season, if desired, with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.

*Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, if needed, to cook vegetables.

Mrs. G's notes:  I will choose hot Italian sausage every time.  Either hot or sweet, if yours doesn't have fennel, I urge you to add some.  

We did not have wine with this (temps are in the 90s), but your favorite red would complement the dish.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Re: Creamy Cajun Chicken & Sausage Fettuccine

That sounds DELICIOUS! Thanks, G!  Smiley Happy

IDK why they call it Cajun either! Maybe at some point someone used andouille?

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

Hi, @sabatini  Your idea makes sense, and andouille would be good, I think.   DH and I discussed earlier about switching the chicken with shrimp.  Now I'm thinking about andouille and shrimp together.  hmmmm

Honored Contributor

Sounds really good, and easy too. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@sabatini wrote:

Hi, @sabatini  Your idea makes sense, and andouille would be good, I think.   DH and I discussed earlier about switching the chicken with shrimp.  Now I'm thinking about andouille and shrimp together.  hmmmm

Wow, that sounds great too!  Smiley Happy

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG

Thanks for sharing this recipe.  I don't care for pasta but the rest of the family loves it.  It's nice to have a tried and true recipe to serve them other than spaghetti or lasagna,  since I'm not much of a judge in this arena!   If it passes your taste test, I'm sold!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Looks very good but no cheese, huh?

I might have to sprinkle in a bit of parm or romano or maybe even a small amount of cream cheese.

Otherwise, it has all the ingredients I love, thanks for sharing

@IamMrsG

Respected Contributor

@software Great minds think alike, as I said the same thing about the absence of cheese.  DH and I decided to try it without, leaving the possibly open for one of us getting up to fetch it if we wanted.  After two bites, we agreed it wasn't needed.  

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@software Great minds think alike, as I said the same thing about the absence of cheese.  DH and I decided to try it without, leaving the possibly open for one of us getting up to fetch it if we wanted.  After two bites, we agreed it wasn't needed.  

Yes there is already a lot of flavor in it.

The first time I make a new recipe, I make it exactly as written and tweak it later, if necessary.   This one looks like a keeper

Trusted Contributor

@IamMrsG

There's a somewhat similar recipe at

http://www.cookingclassy.com/creamy-cajun-chicken-pasta/

which calls for Cajun Seasoning {defined in the notes as:

For the cajun seasoning, whisk together 2 1/2 tsp paprika, 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp garlic powder, 1 & 1/4 tsp dried oregano, 1 & 1/4 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper and 1/2 tsp cayenne (use 1 tsp or more if you like a lot of heat). ]

Other than that, I agree that the original "Cajun" in your recipe must have called for one of the Cajun sausages.  Sounds great either way -- thanks for posting.