Esteemed Contributor

OXO has a wonderful tool to easily and safely get the kernels of corn off the cob. I got mine at BB&B's website (corn peeler for $11.99). I slide it down the bottom half of the cob first an then turn the cob over and do the top half - that keeps the kernels from flying everywhere. There are other brands as well, but I really like the OXO.

Put the kernels in a small pan, add some butter and a couple tablespoons of water or milk and saute for a few minutes on medium. Add some salt and pepper - delicious. Or make a corn salad. Add some diced onion, diced cucumber and sliced cherry tomatoes. Add a light dressing of olive oil, a little white vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper and basil. It's so good and so simple!

Never let fresh sweet corn go to waste! That's my motto!

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Fry it!  Cut the corn off the cob and sauté it in a skillet with butter, a dab of bacon drippings, salt and pepper before serving.  

Sometimes I fry several slices of bacon cut into pieces, remove most of the bacon grease, add butter and diced vidalia onions, cook about one minute then add the corn and cook another 1-2 minutes.   

@RedTop You can never go wrong with bacon or bacon drippings.  I will try this.

Frequent Contributor

I tried a Fresh Corn Salad recipe by Ina Garten last week and have made it 3 times since. I made it for company on Sunday and they asked for the recipe. Simple, easy, and delicious.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/fresh-corn-salad-recipe-1914351?soc=sharepin

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

I can make country creamed corn.

The ears of fresh corn are cut off and the cob is scraped off for extra liquid.

Corn is put in a cast iron skillet where (bacon grease, or butter) has been melted.   Stir the corn as it cooks.

About 5 minutes before the corn is done, pour in milk with plain flour stirred in with no lumps.  

Add salt and pepper.

Simmer about 5 minutes.

I don't spend the calories for this often, and we ate it over crisp toast or biscuits, heaven help!!!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner 

I can make country creamed corn.

The ears of fresh corn are cut off and the cob is scraped off for extra liquid.

Corn is put in a cast iron skillet where (bacon grease, or butter) has been melted.   Stir the corn as it cooks.

About 5 minutes before the corn is done, pour in milk with plain flour stirred in with no lumps.  

Add salt and pepper.

Simmer about 5 minutes.

I don't spend the calories for this often, and we ate it over crisp toast or biscuits, heaven help!!!

Honored Contributor

I've been cooking the corn then taking it off the cob, sauting it and then adding green onions to it with a dash of truffle salt---really good!!