Honored Contributor

Fry it!  Cut the corn off the cob and sauté it in a skillet with butter, a dab of bacon drippings, salt and pepper before serving.  

Sometimes I fry several slices of bacon cut into pieces, remove most of the bacon grease, add butter and diced vidalia onions, cook about one minute then add the corn and cook another 1-2 minutes.   

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@kare29 wrote:

Drizzella,

I have cut the kernels off the cobs and frozen them in a zip lock back for future meals and it is still delicious.  

That is a reson why I want to use the corn on the cob while they look perfect. Too many times I pull something out of the freezer and it looks fine but isn't.

I am so careful now. At Christmas I made a large lasagne for all our Christmas guests staying at our house. Took a bit of time to make because of the size. Took one bite and threw it out. The sausage was in the freezer about 2 weeks. It tasted bad.

I lost all confidence in freezing stuff.

@drizzellla Do you have a food saver?  We use ours all the time.  It is a miracle. It really does keep food safe in the freezer for months.  We wouldn't be without one!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

@kare29 wrote:

Drizzella,

I have cut the kernels off the cobs and frozen them in a zip lock back for future meals and it is still delicious.  

That is a reson why I want to use the corn on the cob while they look perfect. Too many times I pull something out of the freezer and it looks fine but isn't.

I am so careful now. At Christmas I made a large lasagne for all our Christmas guests staying at our house. Took a bit of time to make because of the size. Took one bite and threw it out. The sausage was in the freezer about 2 weeks. It tasted bad.

I lost all confidence in freezing stuff.

@drizzellla Do you have a food saver?  We use ours all the time.  It is a miracle. It really does keep food safe in the freezer for months.  We wouldn't be without one!!!!

No we don't. We keep looking at them. But never bought it. I have a feeling we would seal a bunch of food and then never use it. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Great summer corn?  BARELY cook it, add butter and salt, and relish every wonderful bite!!!!  I don't think I could ever get enough!!!!!

Well, this is what I did. I cut the kernels off the cob. And I did a very poor job. So there was still corn left on the cob. What to do?

I ate the raw corn off the cob. It was so good raw. It was sweet and tasty, without butter or salt. I seemed to do a worse job of cutting the corn off the cob with the next ear of corn that I cut.

I plan on going back to the grocery tomorrow and buy more corn. I am definitely going to have corn on the cob tomorrow for dinner. And I am going to freeze some too.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla 

Use a VERY sharp knife when cutting corn off the cob; it should be sharp enough to slide down the cob and shave the corn off.  There's less mess if you use a Bundt cake pan to shave the kernels into.   Use the sharp edge of the knife to scrape what corn is left on the cob.   

Respected Contributor

If there are extra ears (usually), I always cut off the kernels and freeze them. I use them all winter in guacamole, and other dishes- And always sweeeter than the store bought! 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@drizzellla I will make ONE exception.  My sweet wonderful aunt, who was born in 1911, made real creamed corn with cream and thickened some way and butter and a teaspoon of sugar and it was the best thing ever ate.

She carefully froze the best summer corn for our Christmas meal.  Once coming in our house she dopped it and I honestly thought my dad (and I Woman Embarassed) were gonna cry!  We lamented it as long as he lived--somebody would say "Remembe when she dropped the corn?"Woman Happy

My husband likes creamed corn. Me - not so much.  He likes creamed anything. My Mom never cooked like that.

I will let him make the creamed corn. Translation - it will never get done.

Sorry you waited all year for your Aunt's creamed corn, only to see it hit the ground. I can picture your heart sinking.

@drizzellla 

Well, I am betting your hubby will like this .....   best tip I ever got at a picnic!

Prepare ears of corn in the usual way, and instead of using a knife to spread butter on the ear before eating, use whipped cream cheese instead ...

Voila!  You'll have Instant Creamed Corn!

While some people like plain whipped cream cheese, my favorite is the one with chives ....  and you can adapt it so many different ways of course. 

When people try this, it's surprising how many will say WHY didn't we think of this sooner?   Woman LOL

If you try this, let me know what he thinks.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@drizzellla I will make ONE exception.  My sweet wonderful aunt, who was born in 1911, made real creamed corn with cream and thickened some way and butter and a teaspoon of sugar and it was the best thing ever ate.

She carefully froze the best summer corn for our Christmas meal.  Once coming in our house she dopped it and I honestly thought my dad (and I Woman Embarassed) were gonna cry!  We lamented it as long as he lived--somebody would say "Remembe when she dropped the corn?"Woman Happy

My husband likes creamed corn. Me - not so much.  He likes creamed anything. My Mom never cooked like that.

I will let him make the creamed corn. Translation - it will never get done.

Sorry you waited all year for your Aunt's creamed corn, only to see it hit the ground. I can picture your heart sinking.

@drizzellla 

Well, I am betting your hubby will like this .....   best tip I ever got at a picnic!

Prepare ears of corn in the usual way, and instead of using a knife to spread butter on the ear before eating, use whipped cream cheese instead ...

Voila!  You'll have Instant Creamed Corn!

While some people like plain whipped cream cheese, my favorite is the one with chives ....  and you can adapt it so many different ways of course. 

When people try this, it's surprising how many will say WHY didn't we think of this sooner?   Woman LOL

If you try this, let me know what he thinks.  LOL

Just so happened we stopped at a farmers market yesterday and of course bought more corn on the cob. SO tomorrow night we will try the whipped cream cheese on it.

The whipped cream cheese we have is plain. But we will start out simple.

I know we will drive to the farmers market a few more times this summer.

Respected Contributor

Re: Corn on the Cob recipes

[ Edited ]

Hi @drizzellla, I've posted this before, but it's one of my favorite ways to eat corn. It's even great at room temp. A fiesta in your mouth! 

Skillet Honey & Lime Corn

Ingredients are approximate...I add a bit more honey sometimes, as well as more lime juice, etc., but start here. Total cooking time is less than 10 minutes.

Ingredients:

4 or 5 ears of fresh corn - cut off cob (don't 'milk' the cob - just kernels)
2 tablespoons butter
jalapeno chili, finely diced (your discretion - I use about a half of one)
1 T honey (spray the measuring spoon w/ cooking spray 1st)

2 T fresh lime juice

salt to taste

3 - 4 T roughly chopped cilantro + more for garnish

additional lime wedges to serve

Directions:

In a deep skillet over medium heat, add the butter & when foaming subsides, add jalapeno & stir a bit.

Add the corn, turn up the heat & cook, stirring occasionally for 3 - 5 minutes. 

Add salt & taste it. Is there enough salt? Add the honey & stir it in.

Continue to cook & stir for another minute or 2, then add the lime juice & chopped cilantro and toss.

Taste once more and adjust, if necessary. More lime, or more honey, or more salt?

Remove from heat, pour into a bowl & sprinkle w/ a bit of cilantro.

Serve with additional lime wedges.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

I put my corn in my instaPot for 2 minutes---is perfect--love with just butter and s/p--but have been cutting the kennels off and sauting them with green onions---yummy--also love Paneras mexican corn soup and would live off that ---put those kennels in pasta salads too.