Honored Contributor

Cooking time from BONE IN to BONELESS.... HELP

Doing ribs in the oven. I have always done bone in. Recipe called for bone in. For whatever reason, we could not find bone in country ribs anywhere so...boneless it is. 

I MUST be searching incorrectly because I'm not finding the info I need, PLEASE HELP, lol.

Bone In: 325 degrees for 3 hours.

WHat would NO BONE, therefore be? I don't want to dry them out/ruin them as this is the main food and the cost was not cheap. TIA!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Cooking time from BONE IN to BONELESS.... HELP

[ Edited ]

Do either look like the boneless country style ribs below?

We always cook the 1st kind on the grill plus apply bbq sauce & seasoning.

The 2nd pic we have not made in a long time. DH used to make those to take to work when they did Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners. He put them all in the nesco at 225° with seasoning & covered with water until fall apart tender, drained the water & poured on bbq sauce. Sometimes they had bone sometimes not.

I have never made either one in the oven.

Image result for country style ribs

Image result for country style ribs

Honored Contributor

Here's a recipe for boneless country style ribs made in the oven. The pork ribs look like the 1st pic in my other post. You could go by the cooking time/temp if they are like this?

3-4 lb boneless pork country-style ribs
tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 large onion, sliced
1 1/2 cups water
cup ketchup
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
teaspoon chili powder
dashes red pepper sauce

Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat bottom of baking dish with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Place ribs in dish, separating them slightly. Drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over top of ribs and rub to coat. Sprinkle seasoned salt lightly over all. Place sliced onions on top of ribs. Roast ribs at 425°F for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in medium saucepan over medium heat, combine water, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder and red pepper sauce. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer sauce until it is reduced and thickened a bit.

After 30 minutes of roasting, pour BBQ sauce over ribs, reserving about 1 cup for later. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and bake ribs another 60 minutes (or longer, depending on thickness of ribs), basting with sauce every 15 minutes. Ribs are done when meat is tender and cooked through, and the internal temperature reaches a minimum of 145°F. You can cover the pan loosely with foil for the final 30 minutes of baking if the ribs appear to be drying out. Be sure to keep basting the meat frequently to keep it moist and flavorful.

Transfer ribs to a plate and pour BBQ sauce over all. Serve immediately.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam 

Boneless Country-style Ribs

• Country-style pork ribs
  • Salt and pepper
  • Your favorite BBQ sauce

Instructions

1. Preheat your oven to 300°F. Salt and pepper both sides of your ribs and place in a single layer in your pan, fattier side up.

2. Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake for 2 hours. Carefully (steam and liquid in the tray will be hot!) remove ribs from the oven and check the meat. They should be starting to become tender. If they still feel tough, re-cover them and place them back in the oven for 15 to 30 minutes.

3. Transfer ribs to a plate and drain liquid from the pan. Return ribs to tray and brush with a generous coating of BBQ sauce.

4. Turn oven down to 275°F and bake ribs, uncovered, for 1 hour more, or until you can pull the meat apart with a fork (if your ribs were small and already pretty tender when you put them back in the oven, start checking after 20 minutes). Brush with another coat of BBQ sauce, rest for 5 minutes, serve and enjoy!

*If your "ribs" are very large, 10 ounces or larger, extend the initial covered cooking time by 30 minutes. 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom   It appears that instead of cooking at a shorter lenght of time, you actually cook longer because you've reduced the temp.

So, using this logic, cooking them at 325 for the 3 hours I normally due for bone-in would still work..yes?

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz  Yes, those are what I have.  We don't have a grill so I started years ago making the ribs in the oven; it's a tradition now.

I always thought that bone-in meant the meat took longer to cook so I assumed one would simply lesson the time of cooking; in the oven on low heat, I am not so sure now.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam 

It should, I've only used this recipe though.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

Are you doing these today? If so, you won't have time for this but I make mine by putting them in the crockpot usually about 7 to 8 hours on low with barbecue sauce and spices poured over them, then finishing them off in the oven with fresh barbecue sauce brushed over them. I usually bake them at 350 for about 10 minutes, flip over and brush on more sauce for another 10 minutes. They have never been dried out at all.

Sorry, I'm not a master chef and I don't have a recipe. I just throw them together and I've never had them come out dry or tough. I like to finish them off in the oven so the sauce will stick to them a bit better. They always seem really tender right out of the crockpot but if you want them thick with sauce, you have to still put them in the oven for a few minutes.

Years ago I used to boil them to cook before putting them in the oven awhile with the sauce. This is how my mom taught me. But that was so long ago that I don't remember how long it took to cook. They were always delicious though.

Honored Contributor

I am cooking country style pork ribs tomorrow; the ones in picture #2.   I put them in a large baking pan, season with a dry rub, cover tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil and bake at 325 for 1 1/2 hours.   I remove the bones, put the ribs in a glass baking dish, cover with whatever sauce I’ve made and put them back in the oven about 30 minutes until the sauce is hot and bubbly.

Have never made a bad batch.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I am cooking country style pork ribs tomorrow; the ones in picture #2.   I put them in a large baking pan, season with a dry rub, cover tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil and bake at 325 for 1 1/2 hours.   I remove the bones, put the ribs in a glass baking dish, cover with whatever sauce I’ve made and put them back in the oven about 30 minutes until the sauce is hot and bubbly.

Have never made a bad batch.

@RedTop 

DH always made them in the Nesco covered with water after seasoning the ribs. After they are fall apart tender we would take them out dump the water remove all the fat & bone & put back in the Nesco with bbq sauce so they stay warm. We have not made these in a long time.

The guys where DH works loves them plus keep asking when are we going to eat some of those.

They had them for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner at work since they were already having ham, turkey etc at home.

Everyone else would make a dish to bring to go with it.

I have only made the ribs in pic 1 on the grill outdoors.