Frequent Contributor

Does anyone have a recipe for chocolate chip cookies that won't turn out flat? I never used to have this problem but now, no matter what I do, they comeout of the oven and fall flat. Thanks! 

Frequent Contributor

Not sure if this would help you, but I have heard from a few different cooking shows that after they mix the cookie dough, they would put it in the refrig for about 1/2 hr to chill, they claim it helps keep the cookies from spreading.

Trusted Contributor

I was going to say the same thing. I've heard even over night.

Honored Contributor

Are any of your ingredients outdated by any chance?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Frequent Contributor

Hello,

I saw this recipe on TV on "Beat Bobby Flay."  Though the winning bakers (Bobby did not win) would not divulge the exact recipe, I searched online and found someone who tried to duplicate the recipe and came very close!  These are delicious.

2 sticks cold, cubed unsalted butter'

3/4 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup brown sugar - not packed too hard

2 eggs

3 1/4 - 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 - 1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

2 cups good quality chocolate chips (maybe use 1/2 semi-sweet and half milk or whatever you like).

1 cup walnuts (toast nuts for more flavor)

Preheat oven to 350.

1. In a bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle, cream together the butter and sugars until well blended and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time, and beat until incorporated.

2.  Add flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and mix until just combined.  Gently fold in chocolate chips and nuts.

3. Transfer dough to a clean work surface, and gently mix by hand to ensure even distribution of ingredients.  Divide into 12 portions.

4. PLace on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake in preheated oven 16 - 23 minutes depending on how gooey and rawish you like the middles, until very lightly browned.  Let cool on a rack store what you don't immediately eat in an airtight container.  To freshen, give a quick zap in the microwave for 5 - 10 seconds. 

*Note: when you divide this dough into 12 portions it makes really big cookies.  Feel free to make them smaller just keep an eye on the baking time. 

Give them a try and enjoy!  They are big and chunky.  In fact, the bakers used to sell these cookies by weight!

Honored Contributor

I bake a lot of chocolate chip cookies and once in awhile I have a bad ....or flat...batch.  Not sure why....sometimes I blame it on the humidity.   I have found I have best luck when I soften the butter just enough so I can mix....not too soft.   Also, I do not over-mix the ingredients.  I drop rounded cookie scoops on baking sheet...ungreased....bake 10-12 minutes ....watching and when edges start to get brown/light brown on top  I take them out.  Here is my simple recipe using oatmeal....

1 cup unsalted butter, softened

3/4 cup white sugar

3/4 cup light brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

2 eggs

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 cups quick- cooking oatmeal

2 cups chocolate-chips

chopped walnuts, optional

Mix butter, sugars and vanilla.....add eggs....then flour, salt and soda....mix together....add oatmeal..then chocolate-chips.  350....10-12 minutes

Good luck!  Also....you might want to check your oven temperature to make sure it is heating properly.

Honored Contributor

@teachgrd3,

Just curious as to whether you are using  butter, or sticks of margarine as the fat in your cookie recipes?  Margarine has high water content and makes cookies spread out flat.

I use sticks of butter flavored Crisco, or half butter and half regular Crisco when baking cookies.

Honored Contributor

Mine flatten too, but I think it helps to refrigerate the dough and make the cookies smaller.

Esteemed Contributor

@teachgrd3 

You don't need a new recipe.

Two tips professionals use:

1.  Add 2 level teaspoons of cornstarch to the flour mixture prior to sifting.

2.  Use a small ice cream scoop with the thumb pusher (a #3 I think) or, if you're really good with 2 tableware teaspoons, create nice rounded mounds as close to balls as possible.  Place these on a cookie sheet per recipe (either greased or ungreased).  I then place mine in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to firm up, then immediately into the oven.  If my freezer were larger, I'd place the cookie sheets in there for 10 minutes.  It's important to never place prepared cookie dough on a warm or hot cookie sheet.   So...when I make cookies, I'm usually working with 4-5 cookie sheets.  It's totally worth it to invest in a few more cookie sheets, if you don't already have enough. You'll thank yourself at Christmas/holidays you celebrate.  Purchase quality, if you can.  Look for sales at Williams-Sonoma and Sur Le Table.

Frequent Contributor

No, they're good and the baking soda is good until December. But, that is something to keep an eye on. Thanks!