Contributor

Re: Cooked anything from David’s shortcut cookbook?

I love to watch David and find him very entertaining but I am not fond of his cookboojs. I brought both of them and have never made anything from them. Just not to my liking. I do love cookbooks and have .several. My style is more southern stylelike South your Mouth and Deep South. Also Melba Southern Kitchen. Sorry to have gone off subject.

Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady wrote:

@Free2be wrote:

Yesterday I made his Salisbury steak recipe, sort of.  I didn't have a full packet of onion soup mix so I used the partial packet I had.  I hate to admit this but I was sooo tired (which is why I was making this recipe in the first place) that I forgot to add the bread crumbs to the meat mixture.  That said, it was really quite good.  I added some fresh onion to make up for the missing onion soup.  I will make it again some day, maybe even will get it done right.

ETA:  Next time I probably won't use a whole dry soup packet because it was salty enough with half a packet.  I used the Lipton Beefy Onion Soup mix.

@Free2be

I don't have the cookbook but if you are looking for a good salsibury steak recipe, try Ree Drummonds.  I don't even like salsibury steak but love her recipe and I don't find it labor intensive.  Hope you find more reasons to like this cookbook than not-please keep us updated!

@mustang66lady  & @Free2be I made her salisbury steaks and wouldn't make them again.  Even pouring off the excess grease, they were way too greasy.

Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

I haven’t yet but plan to choose something. Anything you’ve made that you’d recommend?

@esmerelda  I just saw this thread. I made David's melted ice cream cake for New Year's Eve. I used chocolate ice cream and a chocolate cake mix.It was beautiful, but I thought it needed more fat. I used Friendly's ice cream, and I probably should have used an expensive ice cream with more fat. Here's a pic:

David's Cake2.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom  your cake is beautiful. I'm not sure about it needing more fat, but I'd use Schwans ice cream so I'd hope it would turn out. Right now, I'll reserve a copy of David's cookbook just because of the picture you provided.

😪😪edited to say our library doesn't have it - darn I would have liked to make his cake.

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@PA Mom-mom  your cake is beautiful. I'm not sure about it needing more fat, but I'd use Schwans ice cream so I'd hope it would turn out. Right now, I'll reserve a copy of David's cookbook just because of the picture you provided.

😪😪edited to say our library doesn't have it - darn I would have liked to make his cake.

Thanks! My girls dressed it up a bit. I'm not sure I'm allowed to give you the recipe. It really doesn't involve much - just a cake mix, two cups of melted ice cream and three eggs. That's why I think the amount of the fat is important. You should use a full fat ice cream. Also, I think his glaze needs some bulking up. Luckly for me, my lovely DIL took the lead and improved on that.

Regular Contributor

I picked up a copy of the cookbook at the library.  There are a couple of recipes I want to try but it's not a particularly great cookbook.  These days there's so much on the internet.  You could probably do a google search for many of these "shortcuts."

Super Contributor

This is a take off on a 1960's recpie...choco cake mix, two eggs, can of cherry pie filling...can use diff cake mixes and pie fillings....sooo moist