Esteemed Contributor

Cooked anything from David’s shortcut cookbook?

I haven’t yet but plan to choose something. Anything you’ve made that you’d recommend?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Re: Cooked anything from David’s shortcut cookbook?

A whole day with no replies?  With all the sales of this cookbook, I expected to come back and find a bunch of ideas.  No, I haven't tried anything yet, still in the reading stage.  But if someone raves about a recipe, I'll short circuit the reading part.

Trusted Contributor

i work at  the library and i checked out this book.  i was really unimpressed with it.  itseemed to me to rehash shortcuts that most people already know.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yesterday I made his Salisbury steak recipe, sort of.  I didn't have a full packet of onion soup mix so I used the partial packet I had.  I hate to admit this but I was sooo tired (which is why I was making this recipe in the first place) that I forgot to add the bread crumbs to the meat mixture.  That said, it was really quite good.  I added some fresh onion to make up for the missing onion soup.  I will make it again some day, maybe even will get it done right.

ETA:  Next time I probably won't use a whole dry soup packet because it was salty enough with half a packet.  I used the Lipton Beefy Onion Soup mix.

Trusted Contributor

I made the million dollar dip. Everyone loved it

Respected Contributor

i made the chicken cachatorri(SP!!) and it was good but not a wow. probably won't make again.

Esteemed Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

Yesterday I made his Salisbury steak recipe, sort of.  I didn't have a full packet of onion soup mix so I used the partial packet I had.  I hate to admit this but I was sooo tired (which is why I was making this recipe in the first place) that I forgot to add the bread crumbs to the meat mixture.  That said, it was really quite good.  I added some fresh onion to make up for the missing onion soup.  I will make it again some day, maybe even will get it done right.

ETA:  Next time I probably won't use a whole dry soup packet because it was salty enough with half a packet.  I used the Lipton Beefy Onion Soup mix.

@Free2be

I don't have the cookbook but if you are looking for a good salsibury steak recipe, try Ree Drummonds.  I don't even like salsibury steak but love her recipe and I don't find it labor intensive.  Hope you find more reasons to like this cookbook than not-please keep us updated!

Valued Contributor

to be honest, mine still has the shrink wrap on it.
i've been really busy and honestly, don't feel like trying something new right now.
perhaps when it warms up some.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did fix his Beef Stew with biscuits for dumplings....very good but I added little more flour for thickening.  I also did not have the green beans but was ok without those.

I will try his chicken casserole next.  

Respected Contributor

looked threw the cookbook, most of his recipes you can print on line, nothing special that I saw and I gave the book to charity. I was disappointed in his book but maybe that is me. Waited so long for his book and thought wow this is going to be great. never again with qvc I will wait it out til it goes on amazon for much cheaper.