Trusted Contributor

The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook 2001 ...

Best Book Stand Portable Wooden Reading Desk Recipe ...

I highly recommend this atk cookbook, it is loaded with info, recipes, and lots more.  It is heavy but i bought the book holder from amazon and it's a excellent combo. 

Respected Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

The Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook (mine was new in 1975). My Aunt gave it to me for a shower gift and it was a godsend because I had never put dinner on the table up to that point. Now that I'm a much more experienced cook, I still refer to it for some oldies but goodies. Mine came in a 3-ring binder and was organized by recipe type. The directions are clear and there are step-by-step pictures for many of the recipes.

Got mine in 1974.  I used it a lot through the years....now I just pull it out in November, as it has the fruitcake recipe I use.   I will definitely be keeping it.

I don't know that young people will use cookbooks...most anything they want is online, and that is what they are used to.  Why not call or text the bride-to-be or her Mom and see if she would want a cookbook?  And perhaps she would love to get a great cookbook....you don't know unless you ask.

Valued Contributor

Jamie Oliver's 5 Ingredients:  Quick & Easy Food

Exactly how young people cook today, good food that takes about 15 minutes to prep.  Great for anyone who gets home from work and doesn't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen.  Also good for new cooks.

Honored Contributor

The old standard cookbooks do not apply to a lot of what people eat today.  Also, since we all eat differently you would have to know what her tastes lean toward.

Some magazines and their cookbooks cater to people who eat much like we ate in the 1970's with lots of casseroles and bread like dishes, heavy sauces, etc.  

Some cookbooks feature techniques more than recipes and I'd go with that.  I think Martha Stewart has one, Mark Bittman has one, and some others.

I would look for basic and healthy, that includes grains, vegetarian dishes, ethnic like Mexican and curries, and lots of pictures of basic methods like how to chop and cut, break down a chicken, cuts of meats, poaching, stir frying, braising, grilling and such.

How about a good stir fry book with lots of photos and a wok set?  They don't cost much and stir fry is a quick and can be healthy method. 

Honored Contributor

@teachgrd3 I think I have a good option for you!  I went out and looked and Martha Stewart's Cooking School cookbook is great!  

It comes in hardback AND it comes in a Kindle version!  So it would be easy for her to sit and read and flip through AND for her to do a quick online check for recipes and techniques and information!

For example, it has basics like how to put together a salad and make a dressing that I think seem simple on the surface, but this gives you options and tells you about a wider range of ingredients than you might be familiar with.

And what better gift from a teacher than Cooking School? Woman Very Happy 

Frequent Contributor

Sooner, thank you for your time in checking out Martha Stewart's Cooking School for me! I will definitely be checking that out! Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Thank you, everybody, for your ideas and perspectives in response to my cookbook question! I have some good suggestions and some things to consider, thanks to all of you! 

Honored Contributor

This isn’t an answer you’re looking for, but I’d recommend against gifting a cookbook.  Nowadays, with apps, Pinterest and the internet in general, any kind of recipe, conversion charts, substitution charts are available right on one’s phone or tablet.  That’s how young people do it these days, they don’t sit down with an actual book.  Honestly, I don’t either.  I personally have a large collection of cookbooks.  I have a sentimental attachment to many of them and I can’t part with them, even though I haven’t opened one in ages.  The internet is my resource now. 

Honored Contributor

@deb5555 wrote:

The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook 2001 ...

I highly recommend this atk cookbook, it is loaded with info, recipes, and lots more.  It is heavy but i bought the book holder from amazon and it's a excellent combo. 

If someone told me I had to get rid of all my cookbooks but one this would be the one I'd keep.

Respected Contributor

Unless she has one on her registry I would not bother.  Most young people use the internet for EVERYTHING!  Maybe a subscription to a food magazine (check to see what kind of food she likes) would be fun instead. THere are so many to choose from these days!