Honored Contributor

Re: Commercially made bread pudding?

@RespectLife 

@RespectLife wrote:

I have seen Bread Pudding on restaurant menus...but never to purchase in retail.  Sam's Club maybe comes to mind, but I have never seen it locally.

For me, it is something that needs to be fresh!  We like it best warm right outta the oven.

@Foxxee 

I make a LOT of Bread puddings....is there a particular flavor you are looking for?

I recently made a Pecan Pie Bread Pudding that was a huge hit!  I might even had gotten the recipe from the boards.

Also made a Limoncello Bread Pudding that also was a big hit.

I have lots of recipes...if there is some flavor you have in mind, maybe I can help.

Thanks for the offer.  The pecan sounds good and yes, I'd like to try that.  It's one of my favorite pies.  

Gelson's bread pudding was not like a custard or pudding.  Bread cubes ended up whole and not saturated with liquid.  It had more substance like stuffing for a turkey, more dry than soaked, and with cinnamon, nuts, white raisins, and what appeared to be a small bit of cherry pie filling swirled throughout. 

I tried using a few eggs, a little milk and it always came out too wet even though I reduced amounts for the next time. 

I'm thinking now Gelson's might have tossed the bread, raisins, nuts, sugar, cinnamon and cherry pie filling together, put inside the containers, then poured a little of the eggs, milk, and vanilla mixture over the top before baking.  I might be missing a few spices, though.  Haven't tried that.  

Maybe, Gelson's shouldn't call it a pudding, because it's not at all like that.  

Thanks in advance for the pecan pie bread pudding recipe.  Sounds yummy.  

Honored Contributor

I don't have a clue. I have never ate it or even know what's in it besides bread.

The first time I heard of bread pudding was when David was talking about it on QVC several years back.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom 

@Foxxee 

This is the recipe I used...it seems a tad diff

Pecan Pie Bread Pudding

This Pecan Pie Bread Pudding has the signature sweet, sticky, crunchy flavor of pecan pie married into a delicious dessert or breakfast treat.

• 6 cups Italian or French bread, cubed
  • 2 cups milk  **I WAS OUT OF MILK, SO USED A COMBO OF HEAVY CREAM AND HALF/HALF AND WENT OVER TWO CUPS.  Didn't want it to come out dry.  I'd say and extra 1/4 cup liquid.
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups pecan pieces
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted

Instructions

1.                  Cube the bread into bite size pieces- it should be a day or two old, not fresh. Place bread in a large bowl. 

2.      Whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, and white sugar. 

3.      Pour over bread to coat completely; let soak for 10 minutes. **I LET IT SOAK A LOT LONGER, closer to an hour, kept stirring.

4.      Pour the bread mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan.  **I USED A 9" ROUND TEMPTATIONS CASSEROLE.  IMHO, 9x 13 would be too big.

5.       In a medium bowl, combine corn syrup, brown sugar, and melted butter. 

6.      Pour the butter mixture over the bread and top with pecans. 

7.      Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.  ** I went the full 40 mins and served warm.

Nutrition

Calories: 395kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 169mg | Potassium: 157mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 50g | Vitamin A: 5% | Vitamin C: 0.2% | Calcium: 8.1% | Iron: 6.6%

Honored Contributor

I'll try the Walmart first, no Trader Joes or specialty stores around here.  I have found Patti LaBelle's sweet potato pie at Walmart years ago.  Failing that, I'll try making it one more time.  I think I used too much bread the couple times I've done it.

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee   I went to the Gelson's website recipes sectin but couldn't find their recipe for this.  Then I searched for bread pudding with cherry pie fillig recipe and found some.  

I think if you do that kind of a search and peruse the results you might find one close to what you want, especially if the picture resembles what you've had from them and then you'll have a better clue about method/technique and ingredients.

I wish you luck in your pursuit.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Foxxee   I went to the Gelson's website recipes sectin but couldn't find their recipe for this.  Then I searched for bread pudding with cherry pie fillig recipe and found some.  

I think if you do that kind of a search and peruse the results you might find one close to what you want, especially if the picture resembles what you've had from them and then you'll have a better clue about method/technique and ingredients.

I wish you luck in your pursuit.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

@aroc3435 

Thanks for the tip.