Honored Contributor

Commercially made bread pudding?

I'm lousy at bread pudding.  I would dearly love to just go buy some.  Does anyone know of a company that does this for mail order?

Honored Contributor

Re: Commercially made bread pudding?

You might be able to find frozen bread pudding at Trader Joe's.  I don't know about mail-order though.

Trusted Contributor

A smaller specialty grocery store in my area sells made in-store bread pudding and grapenut pudding and other such items. If you have one near you that may be the answer. They may even take orders.

Love bread pudding!

Respected Contributor

I just googled 'mail order bread pudding' and several options came up at various price points (including Patti Labelle at WM for $8 - curbside pickup option),

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't know where you live, but Gelson's in Southern California makes the best I ever had.  I got it at the Newport Beach store.  

I tried to make it quite a few times, but none of my attempts came out the same.  If anyone has a similar recipe, I'd love to have it.

Honored Contributor

Making bread pudding is not rocket science.  If you can read and follow instructions, its one of the simplest concoctions to make.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Foxxee 

As a GA girl, this is my favorite bread pudding recipe by Paula Deen, although I don't like brandy, so I leave it off in the sauce.

The Best Bread Pudding By Paula Deen:   It gets its name for a reason—this really is the Best Bread Pudding recipe out there! A sweet and custard-like dessert with flavors of vanilla and brown sugar, it can be served warm or cold.

• Prep time: 15 minutes

• Cook time: 15 minutes

• Servings: 15

Ingredients

• 3 cups divided granulated sugar
  • 5 large beaten eggs
  • 2 cups milk
  • 4 teaspoons divided vanilla extract
  • 3 cups cubed allow to stale overnight in a bowl Italian bread
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup melted, plus 1/4 cup softened butter
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 beaten egg, for the sauce 
  • 1/4 cup brandy

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350º. Grease a 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan.

Mix together 2 cups granulated sugar, 5 eggs and milk in a bowl; add 2 teaspoons vanilla. Pour over cubed bread and let sit for 10 minutes.

In another bowl, mix and crumble together brown sugar, 1/4 cup softened butter and pecans.

Pour bread mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over the top and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven.

For the sauce:

Mix together 1 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup melted butter, 1 egg, and 2 teaspoons vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir together until the sugar is melted. Add the brandy, stirring well. Pour over bread pudding. Serve warm or cold.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

Thanks, will give it a try.

Honored Contributor

I have seen Bread Pudding on restaurant menus...but never to purchase in retail.  Sam's Club maybe comes to mind, but I have never seen it locally.

For me, it is something that needs to be fresh!  We like it best warm right outta the oven.

@Foxxee 

I make a LOT of Bread puddings....is there a particular flavor you are looking for?

I recently made a Pecan Pie Bread Pudding that was a huge hit!  I might even had gotten the recipe from the boards.

Also made a Limoncello Bread Pudding that also was a big hit.

I have lots of recipes...if there is some flavor you have in mind, maybe I can help.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife 

Was the Peacan Pie Bread Pudding recipe in Southern Living magazine by chance?

I love that one too, I make so many variations of bread pudding.

Pecan Pie Bread Pudding

• 6 large eggs
  • 3 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 3 cups whole milk
  • 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 16 ounce day-old French bread loaf, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 14 cups)
  • Cooking Spray
  • 2 cups pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
Praline Sauce
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

DirectionsInstructions Checklist
  • Step 1

Prepare the Pecan Pie Bread Pudding: Whisk together eggs, cream, milk, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, and table salt in a very large bowl. Add bread cubes, stirring to thoroughly coat. Let stand 1 hour, stirring occasionally to ensure an even coating.

• Step 2

Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Stir pecans into bread mixture, and transfer mixture to prepared dish. Bake in preheated oven until bubbly around edges and firm in center, about 1 hour, shielding with aluminum foil after 45 to 50 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Let stand 10 minutes.

• Step 3

Meanwhile, prepare the Praline Sauce: Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low; whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, until foamy and golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk in cream and brown sugar; cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Whisk in vanilla and salt; cook, whisking constantly, until bubbly, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately over warm bread pudding.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.