Honored Contributor

@walker @Kachina624 

When I read the recipe from the Ball canning book, I knew that was not the recipe we used for our chili sauce; too many ingredients.

I dug out my Bernardin canning book and the recipe we used is from there;  tomatoes, peppers, onions, hot pepper, sugar, salt, vinegar, cinnamon, cloves and celery seed.  Our batch was always made with the very last of the tomatoes and peppers; we didn't grow hot peppers and Mom didn't buy/keep celery seed, so they were not in our sauce.  

This recipe would be easy to make on the stovetop and then refrigerate when cool.  

Honored Contributor

@RedTop. @walker.  Also, if one doesn't want to bother with caning, the sauce can be frozen.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 ..... thanks for telling me this can be frozen.  I was wondering what I would do with all of it.  My mother canned but not sure I want to do that.  I appreciate the tips from you and @RedTop.  @AuntG ...funny about grinding the horseradish!  That would clean your sinuses, eh? 😆

I better start making plans for doing this!  Too bad I can't give you some if any good.....maybe I could sell it on QVC?  🤣

Honored Contributor

@walker.  I'd definitely buy it!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@RedTop. @walker.  Also, if one doesn't want to bother with caning, the sauce can be frozen.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I read on a board that someone's frozen tomatoes (or maybe a tomato based sauce) turned bitter in the freezer. Some posters mentioned not putting tomato products in self defrost freezers, because they warm up just enough to spoil tomatoes. If you have the old type of freezer, with a manual defrost, tomato based products will be fine.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG ....I have put a lot of tomato based items in freezer....i.e.,spaghetti sauce, and never had a problem.  Interesting though...thanks.  Trial and error I guess...we'll see....might not have a big seller here...haha.

Honored Contributor

@walker @AuntG @Kachina624 @RedTop 

Recipe from Woman's Home Companion Cookbook, pub. 1942, from 1946 printing:

Chili Sauce

Ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped, 4 quarts

White Onions, finely ground 3 cups

Green pepper, seeds and white removed, finely ground, 1 cup

Sweet red pepper, seeds and white removed, finely ground, 1 cup

Sugar, 2 cups

Salt, 2 tablespoons

Cayenne, 1/4 teaspoon

Whole cloves, 1 tablespoon

Whole cinnamon, 3, 3-inch sticks

Mustard seed, 1 tablespoon

Vinegar, 3 cups

Directions, condensed:

Combine vegetables, sugar, salt, and cayenne in heavy pot; cover, cook over low heat and stir until sugar dissolved.  Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours or until mixture thickens.

Add spices tied in a square of cheesecloth, and vinegar.  Cook until very thick.  

Then can in steralized jars and seal at once.  Makes about 5 pints.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner .....thank you!  I am finding there are different recipes but similar.  All sound good.  I can still smell it simmering .....oldie but goodie recipe.  I need an extra-large pan for this recipe.  I think my mother used a large roaster that she would use for turkey too.  

Honored Contributor

@walker I am thinking about trying maybe a quarter of that amount myself. Might add a dab of brownn sugar or maple syrup to half for a taste test.  Also maybe some lime or lemon juice and up the heat?

Also, I would use those really good Italian roma tomatoes in a can with the thick thick sauce around them rather than messing with real tomatoes.  That would reduce cooking time and guarantee you good ripe tomatoes in the winter.  Or autumn!  

Honored Contributor

Re: Chili Sauce Recipe

[ Edited ]

@walker
I wouldn't even be thinking about finding a large pan and making a big batch of any chili sauce recipe until you make a single saucepan of it as a taste test. Mom and I made ours in a large pressure canner pot and split it, but I would start with a stove top batch in a 1-2 qt saucepan using crushed tomatoes or tomato puree. Stir often as it will scorch!