Honored Contributor

Not providing the link, but saw an article today from betterreport dot com.  

What's the difference between a pinch, dash or spalsh?  Are they the same? 

What about a glug, splash or drizzle ... or a knob of butter?  

Here's an excerpt:

Home cooking isn’t for everyone, especially if you’re anything like Homer Simpson and have started a fire while making cereal. But if you’ve followed a recipe, you’ve probably heard culinary terms like pinch, dash, and splash. While those measurements may sound vague, they’re shorthand for exact amounts you should adhere to while making your meal. If you don’t pay attention and use a pinch instead of a dash, you could wind up with an utterly under-seasoned meal. Here are tips for decoding any of those seemingly confusing recipe instructions.

Pinch vs. Dash

Both pinch and dash sound like equally tiny amounts that you add to food, but a dash is double the size of a pinch. A dash equals 1/8 of a teaspoon, whereas a pinch equals 1/16. There are shorthand terms for even smaller amounts as well, including smidgen (1/32 of a teaspoon) and drop (1/64 of a teaspoon). There’s also “hint,” which equals the extremely negligible amount of 1/128 of a teaspoon. On the flip side, you’ve got a “tad” — the largest of any of these amounts at about 1/4 teaspoon. It’s best to buy a set of smaller measuring spoons to portion out these exact amounts.

This was all news to me!  lol   Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

Re: A PINCH, DASH OR SPLASH?

I have three sets of the Pourfect measuring spoons. Does anyone remember those? Anyway, they have spoons for dash, pinch, and smidgen, and I do use them. Best measuring spoons and cups ever made imo.

IMG_0014.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

I have three sets of the Pourfect measuring spoons. Does anyone remember those? Anyway, they have spoons for dash, pinch, and smidgen, and I do use them. Best measuring spoons and cups ever made imo.

IMG_0014.jpeg

@Ainhisg :  Those are so cool.......my DM was a fabulous cook, and I would ask her how much of something went into a recipe.  Her answer was a pinch of that, a dash of this, and a smidgen of this LOL.  To this day I am still a horrible cook.

Trusted Contributor

@Ainhisg- I have the measuring spoons, cups and Pourfect bowl set.  I gave my purple set to the my daughter as they were too dark for me to read the measurements.  I have the golden yellow set and I wish they would have put the measurements in a contrasting color so they were easier to read.  I do use them all the time and like that the cups and bowls are microwave safe.

Honored Contributor

It is whatever I want it to be!  I love to cook by whatever I feel like at the moment and I'm a great cook!

I can make up recipes on the moment, think of creative things to add, and almost always measure something then put in a little extra to add a little more zip.

I think it scares my hubby, but recently he has started cooking more "on the edge" and has come up with some winners!

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

IMG_0014.jpeg

@Ainhisg 

Wow, I'm impressed .... three sets?     

The company is probably out of business by now.

Honored Contributor

I only follow recipes exactly for baked goods like cakes and cookies.  I've never seen one that said a pinch, dash or splash.

If I am making bread or some other yeast dough, I go by sight and feel....and use a scale for measurement, but some adjustments are always needed.

I don't really use written recipes for cooking.  I just go by what I think the measurement is and never use measuring spoons or measuring cups.

I do make an old world cookie that uses yeast.  The recipe is old.  The directions say to use a coffee cup when measuring flour.  I have always wondered what size coffee cup.

The recipe always comes out great, but I have to play around to get the dough just right.

@Tinkrbl44   Your post was enlightening.  I learned something.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

IMG_0014.jpeg

@Ainhisg 

Wow, I'm impressed .... three sets?     

The company is probably out of business by now.

Yup...I cook/bake almost daily.  They're not out of business; the website indicates that it is wholesale only, but the cup/bowls/spoons are available from Amazon and perhaps other places.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie  If your recipe is from the U.S  the measure for a coffee cup is 8oz. The Measure for a Tea cup is 6 oz.     The measures may be different if your recipe came from " The Old Country" Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I do have stainless steel measuring spoons that have those tiny measurements--except the splash.