• 1 tsp salt
CHILE RELLENO TOPPING
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • ½ cup cooking oil
  • ½ tsp pepper
  • 1 cup jack cheese, shredded

INSTRUCTIONS

• Clean and dry the poblano chiles. Places them on a cookie sheet covered in foil. Place under the broiler for 5 minutes. Turn the chiles over and broil for another 5 minutes. Chiles should be roasted with black skin. Remove from the oven and place the chiles in a sealable plastic bag. Set aside
  • In a large saucepan heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for about 2 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cilantro, cook an additional 30 seconds.
  • Add the flour to the saucepan and stir to coat the veggies. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Then add the chicken broth, cream, milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a low simmer.
  • Once the chiles have cooled to the touch, remove from the plastic bag. Cut off the top, remove the seeds, and then remove the skin. (I found it easiest to use a paring knife to remove the skin)
  • Set two of the chiles aside for the chile relleno topping. Dice up the other 4 chiles and add to the soup. Allow the soup to continue simmering approximately 15-20 minutes.
  • While the soup simmers make the chile relleno topping. Slice the remaining chiles in half (should already have the seeds and skin removed). This will give you four large pieces of chile.
  • Set up two small bowls. Using the two eggs separate so that whites are in one bowl and yolks are in the second bowl. Beat the egg whites for about a minute and add the 2 tablespoons of flour. In the other bowl beat the egg yolks. Set up a small frying pan and heat the cooking oil over medium heat. Dip one of the chile slices into the egg yolk, then into the egg white/flour mixture. Add to the cooking oil and fry on each side about 1-2 minutes until golden. Repeat with the other chile slice.
  • Just before serving the soup, add 1/2 cup of shredded Jack cheese and stir until completely melted. Serve the soup into bowls, top with the chile relleno and extra shredded jack cheese. You can place the bowls under the broiler if desired to melt the cheese on top, however, this step is not required.
Respected Contributor

@Reconnaissant  I love Chile Rellenos so I'm sure I'll like this soup. Thanks for the recipe.

Honored Contributor

This sounds really good, but what is calorie count, about 2000 per bowl?  

Frequent Contributor

@depglass  I just found this exact recipe on House of Yumm's website.  I would put a link here, but QVC will delete it and/or my post.  That recipe says it makes 5 servings and each serving has 627 calories and 15g carbs. 

The carbs are a deal-breaker for me, but House of Yumm said the website All Day I Dream About Food posted a low carb remake.

Valued Contributor

@eaesquire @depglass 

Keto Chile Relleno Chicken Soup

Creamy rich soup with roasted poblano peppers, chicken, and plenty of cheddar cheese. 

Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 8 servings
Calories 476 kcal
Ingredients
  • 4 poblano peppers
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 4 cups chicken bone broth
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 8 ounces cream cheese cut into cubes
  • 3 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
Instructions
  1. Roast the poblano peppers until the skin is charred and blistered. You can do this over the open flame on a gas stove, or by heating your broiler to high and placing poblanos within a few inches of the broiler (turning to get all sides charred).

2. Place the peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let cool, then rub the skin to remove as much as possible. Cut out the seeds and then place in a food processor or blender to finely chop. Set aside.

3. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, and poblanos and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.

4. Stir in the chicken broth and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Add the chicken pieces and continue to cook until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.

5. Add the cream cheese and two cups of the cheddar cheese and whisk until smooth.

6. To serve, divide into 8 bowls and sprinkle each with 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Sit briefly under the broiler until the cheese is melted and browned (this step is optional but OH SO GOOD!).

Nutrition Facts
Keto Chile Relleno Chicken Soup

Amount Per Serving (1 serving = approximately 1 cup)
Calories 476Calories from Fat 264

% Daily Value*
Fat 29.3g45%
Carbohydrates 7.7g3%
Fiber 2g8%
Protein 36.3g73%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Frequent Contributor

@Reconnaissant   Thank you!  The soup looks amazing.  It just started snowing where I live, and something like this would sure hit the spot!  I might take a shot at the low carb version if I can scramble up the ingredients without having to run to the store.