Honored Contributor

Chefs' tips & tricks for cooks & bakers

Instead of using real cream in a recipe - use 1% milk and then thicked with a Tbsp of constarch mixed with a little water. It works fine , makes good sauces that are not fat laden. Do they taste exactly the same - of course not , but are still very good.

Tonight I am making a sauce for chicken corden blue that normally calls for cream, mustard and parmesan cheese but my version will be milk , cornstarch & water to thicken, mustard and parmesan. Warm up to melt cheese and allow the cornstarch to thicken the sauce.

Honored Contributor

Re: Chefs' tips & tricks for cooks & bakers

[ Edited ]

UMMM - OK - this is not the title I had put on this thread. Not that I mind at all a thread where everyone shares tips but my post title was something like - To lower fat in cream sauce. So now the mods are editting our posts????

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

UMMM - OK - this is not the title I had put on this thread. Not that I mind at all a thread where everyone shares tips but my post title was something like - To lower fat in cream sauce. So now the mods are editting our posts????

@151949why would they do that, don't understand ?????

Honored Contributor

Well, I don't think anyone else can edit a post , can they ?

Honored Contributor

Re: To Lower Fat in Cream Sauce

[ Edited ]

I can edit heading from my post. Can't edit your top heading though.

Respected Contributor

That does seem odd. Maybe they thought it was being public-minded, that by broadening the topic, it would attract more views and contributions.

Like a substitute for baking powder, which does go out of date annoyingly quickly if you don't bake much--a 1 to 2 ratio of baking SODA to cream of tartar.

For the equivalent of 1 teaspoon of baking powder,  combine

- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda with

- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar.

Honored Contributor

By todays silly standards the word fat was probably demeaning to some people.Woman LOL

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

151949 wrote:

@151949,  The moderators didn't edit your title.   When we create a thread, unless we turn "suggestions" off  we'll see suggested topics when we're typing in the subject of our thread.   The system seems to try very hard to plug one of those in instead of our new subject.   There's another thread with the identical title,  it was offered as a suggestion and you inadvertently clicked on that instead of the one you typed in.    Sometimes the suggested topics make sense, other times not so much, but it's easy to click on them without realizing until later.

If you don't like the title as is, just go to your original post, click the 3 dots to edit it, and change the title.

(Here's the older thread with the identical subject:   "Chefs' tips & tricks for cooks & bakers" at link: https://community.qvc.com/t5/Kitchen/Chefs-tips-amp-tricks-for-cooks-amp-bakers/m-p/3142104#M130426)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo solved the mystery! And the original "Chef's tips" thread has terrific ideas. Go see, the link is given in dooBdoo's post.