Respected Contributor

Anyone use gluten free flour?

I'm going to try baking with gluten free flour. I'm wondering if anything needs to be altered...more baking powder/soda, etc?? Or does it bake just like all purpose flour?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone use gluten free flour?

From what I have been reading it really depends on what you are baking.

Respected Contributor

I'm going to bake a banana nut bread
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin

Do you have a specific brand of GF flour that you use for baking?

Respected Contributor

I have Pillsbury Best.all purpose gluten free...it has a binder in it.
Respected Contributor

I found a gluten free recipe...guess I'll just give it a try.
Respected Contributor

A lot of GF baking is experimenting. The flours can be very sensitive to humidity and other ingredients/toppings. Bread should be fine, but don't be surprised if the texture is different. Those flours are like that. I've had very few that taste like the wheat flour we are used to.
Regular Contributor

I have used Bob's Red Mill '1 cup for 1 cup' flour to make pecan tassies and they were delicious.  Couldn't tell the difference.    I used it also to make biscuits.  They tasted pretty good.  When I make them again, I will let the dough sit about 30 minutes to allow the grains time to absorb the moisture better.  They were a little "grainy", but still good flavor.  Bob's Red Mill has 2 different gluten free flours.  The one I used has light blue on the label.  The other one is not blue and I have heard it has a "beany" taste, which isn't appealing to me, so I have not purchased that one. 

I have also heard there is another brand called "Cup for Cup" that is very good, but I have not tried it.  These types of blended gluten free flours normally have the "add ins" that are needed. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin

I experiment all the time - using Andrew Lessman's oatmeal to make oat flour which is gluten free.  Adjusting my own recipe is risk taking.

You have the flour and the recipe it should be successful and sounds like an excellent place to start .  When experimenting the worst that can happen is either the bread turns out heavy or may not rise as much as you like but usually tastes good anyway.  Oat flour has more moisture so it usually does not turn out too dry.

Respected Contributor

I am gluten free and I tend to mill my own flours.  I do have a wide variety of cookbooks on the subject, and I have learned a lot.

You don't have to spend money on cookbooks, but what you need to do is research the recipe you want to make-and be prepared!

Having xanthum gum on hand is a MUST: it's gone mainstream and is available everywhere. It improves the texture and it helps gluten free flours absorb moisture. On the subject of moisture, many gluten free recipes require more liquid.  In most cases, you can't take a standard recipe and substitute gluten free flour using the same amount of liquid called for in the original recipe.

Some baking mixes may not have that problem.....but definitely check out the web-site of the manufacturer for tips.

Some gluten free bread recipes do use yeast: for reasons unknown to me, you can't use jarred yeast or SAF: if you see yeast in envelops, you may want to have a few on hand.

Poodlepet2