Honored Contributor

image001 (3).jpg

Serving Size: 6

Ingredients

1 pound super lean ground beef

1 medium onion, chopped

1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning of choice (i.e. Dash Garlic & Herb)

1/4 teaspoon smoked salt (regular can be substituted)

1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt

1 1/2 teaspoon canola oil

1 cup milk of choice (low fat, nonfat, alternative milk)

2 large eggs, pastured or higher omega-3 if available, beaten

1 cup (drained) diced fire roasted tomatoes (any canned diced tomato can be used)

OPTIONAL GARNISH: pickles and condiments like secret sauce, mustard, catsup, BBQ sauce

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400-degrees. Coat a pie plate or 6 individual casserole dishes with cooking spray.
  2. In large, nonstick skillet, cook ground beef and onion until beef is cooked through (about 6 minutes). Stir in the salt-free seasoning and smoked salt. Spread beef mixture evenly in the prepared dish or dishes. Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top of beef mixture.
  3. In medium-sized bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, baking powder, and seasoned salt. Whisk in the oil until evenly combined. Pour in the milk and the beaten eggs all at once and stir until blended (it will be a bit runny). Pour this batter evenly over the beef and cheese mixture in the dish or dishes.
  4. Dot the top of the cheeseburger pie(s) with the diced tomatoes. Bake for 25 minutes (20 minutes for individual dishes) or until knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Serve individual containers or cut large cheeseburger pie into wedges and serve with fun garnishes and condiments!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Kids would LOVE this, a cross between their two favorite food groups, pizza and burgers. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Forget the "kids"!  I want a piece as long as it isn't overcome with cheese.

Respected Contributor

Re: Cheeseburger Pie

[ Edited ]

THANK YOU!  Looks delish.  I'll be making this very soon.  Woman Very Happy

Edited to add:  Do you drain the canned tomatoes before adding them?

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Trusted Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

It say's "drained" in the recipe.

Honored Contributor

@CoffeeNut wrote:

@spent2much wrote:

It say's "drained" in the recipe.

Thank you @CoffeeNut . Yes, @spent2much definitely drain the canned tomatoes. You can also add Jalepenos, too if you like it spicy/hot!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

I made this last night and used plain salt instead of the seasoned which neither of us like, and a fresh diced small tomato on top, and it was DELICIOUS and easy as can be.  DH loved it.  Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@author wrote:

I made this last night and used plain salt instead of the seasoned which neither of us like, and a fresh diced small tomato on top, and it was DELICIOUS and easy as can be.  DH loved it.  Cat Very Happy

Thank you for the review @author 

What cooking vessel did you use for the oven? Casserole?  Cast iron?

I'm probably going to use individual casseroles so everyone can customize per their taste - cheddar cheese or jack pepper, and alternative toppers jalapeño,  onion, diced bacon

I finally scored the Trader Joe's secret sauce! 

0maeajaet3d61.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl 

I baked it in my Oster convetion oven at 400 for 20 min, in a Corning Ware white pie pan (10") and it was picture perfect, light as a feather with the delicious beef/cheese at the bottom.  

Customiizing it in separate small dishes would be great!  Sauces, onions, whatever cheese you prefer, etc.  It is also delicious at room temp, sort of like a quiche.

Yes, you could make this with asparagus on the bottom instead of beef and have a wonderful veggie entree or side dish.

What impressed me was the flour/egg/milk mixture where the oil is whisked in rather than cutting in shortening or butter; worked so well and so easy with such great results.