Honored Contributor

Re: Changing Ingredients in Recipe

My beef boullion cubes have 1120 mg sodium each.  I wonder how they can fit that much into that tiny cube.  Anyway, when I use a couple of these for whatever, I don't add any other salt.  This is usually enough and sometimes perhaps too much.  Look for a low sodium beef broth.

Honored Contributor

Sure you can substitute low sodium beef broth. I'm often making small adjustments to recipes.

Honored Contributor

I often cut down on the amount of salt in a recipe. If it calls for 4 cups of chicken broth - although I use Better Than Bullion reduced sodium - I would do 3 cups of broth and 1 cup of water - taste and add salt accordingly - usually it is fine

yes - use reduce sodium soy and broth and you may think of  reducing the amount of broth with addtion of water

Honored Contributor

I bet it is the beef boullion cubes.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy As you may know, I taught Foods and Adv Foods.  Beef broth is always less salty than bullion.  I have used low sodium soy sauce and it wasn't as good, being a taste, not "salt" issue.

I would use Swanson's beef broth and regular soy sauce, or exchange the beef broth for burgandy wine, you would have to adjust the measurement.

Trusted Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I have a steak stir fry recipe.  I made it before, family loved it.  Just thought it was a bit salty.  I want to make it again, but without all the saltiness.  The recipes calls for soy sauce.  I plan on using low sodium soy sauce this time.  It also calls for 1 teaspoon of beef granules in 1 cup of boiling water.  Do you think I can replace that with just a can of beef broth?  I did use bouillon cubes because I just can't find grandules.  Do you think all the salt taste is coming from the soy sauce?  Or combination of that and bouillon?  Thanks!

@ScrapHappy 

There is a Herb Ox sodium-free granulated beef and chicken bouillon in a boxed 8-packet version and bottled version. It is a product of Hormel Foods.

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy, Swanson's makes an unsalted beef stock.

image.png

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy, did you end up making the stir fry dish? If so, how was it?

I wanted to mention this to you...

Perhaps you can just decrease the soy, and add some oyster sauce.

Oyster Beef is delicious!

A bit of sugar can help.

And also, a splash of mirin, sake or dry sherry adds a subtle but nice flavor.

Muddling through...