Respected Contributor

Anyone melt caramels in the microwave?  I just want to slice up an apple and drizzle caramel on top.  I have the individually wrapped caramel candy in my house & don't want to go to the store for the stuff in the jar. 

Honored Contributor

Now I know why they use caramel to demonstrate burned candy in those copper chef pans.  It seems to have a very low burn point.  I put three Werthers on a paper plate into the microwave.  10 seconds, nothing.  30 seconds and I went back to emptying the dishwasher.  Horrible smell.  Didn't realize the problem, duh.  The caramel had burned black on the paper plate and the oven was full of smoke.  So I'm thinking you are better off doing this on a stovetop at very low heat. 

Valued Contributor

Stuffed Carmel Apples from DelishCapture.JPG

Honored Contributor

I would place the caramels in a 4-cup glass measure with a couple tablespoons of milk.  Microwave on high for a minute, stir, then microwave for another minute.

Super Contributor

This might be more of a hassle for such a small amount, but I would do it in a "double boiler". That is boiling water in the bottom pan on the stove with caramels in the top pan.  It hopefully prevents the burning that you might get in the microwave and let's you melt them slowly. Your treat sounds delicious!

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I would place the caramels in a 4-cup glass measure with a couple tablespoons of milk.  Microwave on high for a minute, stir, then microwave for another minute.

Yep, THIS ^^^ ! You need to add a bit of liquid to help the caramels break down and convert into a liquid form, and the fattiness/creaminess of the milk will support this process. Depending on the power of your microwave, you may even want to nuke the caramels at 50% power. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Yep, THIS ^^^ ! You need to add a bit of liquid to help the caramels break down and convert into a liquid form, and the fattiness/creaminess of the milk will support this process. Depending on the power of your microwave, you may even want to nuke the caramels at 50% power. Good luck!

Good advice, and thanks for the science lesson.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

way too much trouble---go get some good caramel sauce for ice cream---I  think Smuckers  has a salted caramel sauce that is very yummy.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy.  Did you know you can make caramel by cooking an unopened can of condensed milk?  I've done it in the pressure cooker a lot faster than just boiling it.  Works like a charm.

Click here for directions

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone for all the help.  I appreciate it.