Occasional Contributor

Re: Calling all Vitamix lovers!

No love AT ALL for our Vita Mix. Espresso recent model purchased on Q.V.C. has done nothing but been a huge disappointment. Will not chop meat as demonstrated. Clogs, jumps and stops working. Who would like to purchase it?  It is going to the garage sale.

Valued Contributor

I have been wanting a vitamix for SOOOOO LONG and finally took the plunge today! I look forward to trying out the various recipes. I'm also hoping this will be a great way to help my kids "eat" more veggies. The dry container deal was wonderful, so glad I saw that in time!

Honored Contributor

@bebe777 wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

Here's a mundane question:  What's the best way to clean the plastic container that contains the blade?

I have washed it by hand (since it is not dishwasher safe) and also swirled hot sudsy water in it using the Vitamix's own power.  The container is still not as clear as it was when new.  And it's only a couple of years old.

Short of purchasing a new container, does anyone have cleaning methods that have worked well to retain the clarity of the container?

ETA to ask @bebe777, who is expert in all things Vitamix!

Hi @GingerPeach, and thank you for your kind words. Smiley Happy

I think the key to keeping you Vitamix blender clean is to just make sure you clean it immediately after you make something with it. At the very least, put it in hot sudsy water and soak it. That always works for me. 

I have a one of those smiley face yellow scrubbies that QVC sells. It doesn't scratch so if I do need to get something out of the blender that's what I use. 

A good friend of mine bought a long handled scrubber that supposedly won't scratch the blender. It seems to work but I'm going to first see how her Vitamix blender looks after 6 months. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Hi @bebe777

Thanks so much for your help.  That's exactly what I've been doing -- cleaning it immediately after each use.  I don't ever store anything I've made in it.  The only things I've ever made are green smoothies (similar to yours but not identical) - celery, cucumbers, lettuce or other greens, apple, and occasionally other things like parsley, depending on what I have on hand.  I bought it specifically since it's the only machine that can handle celery, as far as I was aware.

Yesterday I cleaned it with the Bio-Cleaner product QVC sells.  (Rinsed extremely well, of course.)  It helped a little.  Maybe I have a defective container.  (The only thing I miss about my old, old "regular" blender is the glass container.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.

I have a question about making soup in the Vitamix.  On the demo, he turns around and puts it under a plastic "shield."  Does that come with the Vitamix?

Occasional Contributor

No, it does not. That clear plastic shield/cover is to reduce the sound during the on air presentation. It is also used commercially in stores like Starbucks and Dairy Queen etc. etc. 

Honored Contributor

Hurray---getting my new TSV Vitamix from 2/14, today!!  I've been using my mom's 36 year old, stainless steel 3600 from 1980 when she bought it  brand new!!  It still works but not quite as it did so decided to buy myself an early b-day gift. Have been making smoothies with the old one but never tried the hot things or the frozen things. Have ground up grains for flour too. Can't wait!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I have the wet blender with the variable speed K42973, the 13 in 1.   One of those 13 is meat grinder.   I can't find anything, anywhere on how to do this.   Nothing in the directions included, nothing online.

I think Jan Muller may have demonstrated it once but I missed it.

I wanted to buy my own meat & grind it myself-chicken, pork, beef.    I grind my own coffee, make smoothies & many other applications.    I'm very happy with my Vitamix although it was a huge purchase for me.  I use it often.

Any advice is appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Check YouTube videos, I use a traditional meat grinder so I've never tried to do it in my vitamix

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Contributor

I have the same issue and contacted Vitamix. They had no tips other than to wash and dry (as we are already doing) .  The container looks cloudy and dirty no matter what I do.  Think that is just the way it is.  My OXO plastic measuring cups are the same way. oh, well.....    

Occasional Visitor

You might check YouTube under cleaning Vitamix. Good Luck!