Honored Contributor

Ground Beef and Ground Pork Casserole

A lady friend fixed dinner for my sister, me, and our DHs Sunday night and fixed this casserole. She used frozen peas instead of canned peas and few mushrooms.

Im adding it to my very limited recipe collection and thought I would share it with you.  She served fruit, knot rolls, and steamed cauliflower w/melted cheese.

C406C8F9-E26C-494C-9C55-DB127832D12D.jpeg

Valued Contributor

Re: Ground Beef and Ground Pork Casserole

@OKPrincess

This recipe takes me back 50 years.  Reading it reminded me of a tasty dish my neighbor used to make.  He would make it and invite our whole family for dinner.  We loved it!

Thank you for sharing.  It is on my list to make.

P.S.  His version had chow mein noodles sprinkled on top which gave it a little crunch.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

@rrpell It takes me back that long too. My mom’s recipes look like this card and she made lots of dishes with beef.

I thought it was very nice. There were 5 of us and probably ate 3/4 of it.

If you fix it, enjoy. (I dislike mushrooms but easy to get out or not use at all. I won’t if I’m cooking.)

Honored Contributor

Looks wonderful

Can I assume the soup is cream of mushroom?

Honored Contributor

Hi there @OKPrincess  This looks like a good recipe.  Thanks for posting.  I actually make my meatloaf with ground beef,pork and some veal.  It's a favorite!   I am going to try this one though for a change.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

Hi there @OKPrincess  This looks like a good recipe.  Thanks for posting.  I actually make my meatloaf with ground beef,pork and some veal.  It's a favorite!   I am going to try this one though for a change.

I have made meatloaf with ground beef and pork but not veal.

I cook more in fall/winter and these are easy ingredients to keep on hand.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Looks wonderful

Can I assume the soup is cream of mushroom?

Yes it is.

Esteemed Contributor

sounds good, @OKPrincess.

Momma gave me a recipe box filled with her favorite recipes. I love that little box and all her handwritten recipes.

Makes me not so aggravated that little sister has already claimed the antique china cabinet of moms, lol. Well, kinda.

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

sounds good, @OKPrincess.

Momma gave me a recipe box filled with her favorite recipes. I love that little box and all her handwritten recipes.

Makes me not so aggravated that little sister has already claimed the antique china cabinet of moms, lol. Well, kinda.

I’d rather have priceless recipes than hand wash a bunch of china!!

I have my mom’s rooster recipe box but kept very few recipes.

Super Contributor

OKPrincess, this is very much like a recipe I have called Johnnie-Bessie-I. I was spending the night at my girlfriend's home 45 years ago, and her mom made it for dinner, None of her family liked the casserole, they were steak and potatoes people. I LOVED it, and she thought I was just being polite. I went on to marry, and made it at least a hundred times in the last 45 years. My kids also loved it.