Valued Contributor

Re: Cabbage recipe suggestions anyone?

@On It wrote:

@Houstonoilers My favorite is Spanish Slaw. It was featured at Luby's Cafeteria. The recipe is online under Spanish Slaw Luby's. The version I saw had 5 Stars.

Thanks - found it!   Luby's Spanish Slaw with Dressing Recipe (recipeland.com)

Honored Contributor

My family calls this "Irish Lasagna "

Corned Beef and Cabbage with Country Mustard Sauce

From Sunday Casseroles by Betty Rosbottom:

Country Mustard Sauce

2 Tbsp. unsalted butter

2 Tbsp. all purpose flour

2 c. half and half

1/4 c. coarse-grain Dijon mustard

2 tsp. caraway seeds, toasted and crushed

1/4 tsp. kosher salt

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Freshly ground black pepper

2-1/2 c. Gruyere cheese, grated

Corned Beef and Cabbage

1 med. head green cabbage

4 Tbsp. unsalted butter

12 oz. small red-skin potatoes (1-1/2 to 2" diameter), scrubbed but not peeled

12 oz. corned beef, thinly sliced and cut into strips 3-5" long and 1/2" wide

Kosher salt

1/2 c. Gruyere cheese, grated

2 Tbsp. fresh dill, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously butter 9 X 13" baking dish.

2. Sauce: Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for about 1-1/2 to 2 min. Gradually whisk in the half and half, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and starts to simmer. Stir in mustard, caraway seeds, salt, cayenne, and several grinds of black pepper. Then gradually whisk in the Gruyere. Remove from heat and set aside.

3. Quarter and core the cabbage. Cut the quarters crosswise into 1/2" strips to equal 10 cups. (You may have some cabbage left over. Save for another use.)

4. Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add half the cabbage and cook, stirring, until it starts to wilt; then add the rest of the cabbage. Cook, stirring often until the cabbage has softened and is starting to brown lightly, about 10 minutes. Remove to large mixing bowl.

5. Bring a large saucepan of water to boil over high heat. Add potatoes and cook until tender when pierced, about 12-15 minutes. Drain. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1/4" slices. Add to the mixing bowl holding the cabbage, then add the corned beef strips. Add the sauce and toss to combine. Season with salt if needed.

6. Spread the cabbage mixture evenly in the baking dish. Sprinkle with the Gruyere. (The casserole can be prepared up to this point 4 hours ahead; cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature 30 min. to an hour before baking.)

7. Bake uncovered until the casserole is hot and the cheese has melted, about 20-25 min. Remove from oven and cool for 15 min. Sprinkle with the dill before serving.

Honored Contributor

Egg roll in a bowl

Trusted Contributor

Two of my favorite preparations of cabbage are:

EASY CABBAGE CASSEROLE:

Ingredients:
1 cup Cabbage, cut into ½" slices
3 Eggs
1 Carrot, shredded
Salt, to tasteoror
Pepper, to taste
Small Tomato, chopped
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
3/4 cup softened Cream Cheese
Chopped Italian Parsley, you decide the amount
1/2 medium Onion, chopped
1½ cups shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 tsp Oregano

Directions:

Combine all ingredients EXCEPT mozzarella and oregano.  Place in a small casserole dish, i.e., 11x7 or 8x8.  Top with cheese, completely covering mixture. Sprinkle oregano over cheese. Bake UNcovered at 350° for 30 min. Then bake on BROIL a couple minutes to brown cheese if desired.

Carrots and cabbage will have some crispness after above cooking time.  They will not be mushy.  If less crispness is desired, sliced cabbage and carrots could be steamed for a few minutes prior to proceeding with recipe.

INDIAN FRIED CABBAGE:
This Indian version of Fried Cabbage is easy, spicy and chock block full of flavor! It can be made heartier by adding peas, tomatoes and potatoes.  It's also vegetarian and extremely delicious..... you won't miss the bacon. 

Ingredients
2 TBS oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 inch fresh ginger, grated* (or use jarred ginger paste)
1 head cabbage, shredded or finely chopped
1 tsp paprika* (I like smoked paprika)
1 TBS coriander powder
Salt to taste
3/4 cup frozen/fresh green peas*

*(Poster uses jarred ginger paste or ginger-garlic paste when no fresh ginger is on hand.  I prefer using smoked paprika.  And I always add red pepper flakes.  On occasion, if I happen to have them in the fridge, I'll add snow peas along with OR instead of frozen green peas). 

Directions
Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and ginger. Sauté for a minute and add cabbage, paprika, coriander powder and salt. Mix well, and add 1/4 cup water.

Cover the pan and cook for 8-10 minutes till the cabbage is fork tender.

Add in the green peas and cook for another minute or two. Serve hot.

Source: Centercutcook

I AM SO, SO, SO GOING TO MISS THIS RECIPE FORUM!!!!😥

Honored Contributor

In the first Bob Warden pressure cooker book, there is a recipe for cabbage soup that has spuds, kielbasa, and  onions in it that is so amazing!!  I cooked meals for my brother and his wife for a few years and that soup was one they couldn't get enough of. Made in a pressure cooker so was fast and easy.will post recipe if wanted.

Trusted Contributor

@wagirl 

Yes, please post it!

Respected Contributor

Hungarian Soup

2-3T butter. I use 1 T.  as sausage adds enough fat

6oz. Hungarian Sausage. I use Polish or other and use all of ring

1 diced yellow onion

1 tsp. salt

3 T. Flour 

2 to 3 cloves minced garlic

2 tsp. Smokey Paprika

5 C. Chicken broth (1 box plus 1C. Boullion)

2 to 3 C. Chopped Cabbage

1 to 1 1/2 diced potatoes

Dash black pepper and if desired dash Cayenne Pepper

1 bay leaf

3 T. Cider vinegar

Top with sour cream if desired. 

Brown sliced sausage in butter in large pot. Take out meat and set aside. Brown onion then flour,  salt, garlic, paprika. Add broth and cabbage. Cook a couple of min. while dicing potatoes and add them with spices. Cook 30 min. Add vinegar and sausage. Cook 10 min. more. Top with sour cream if desired.

I have made this often and leftovers are good. Adapted from  Chef Paul Cooks on Youtube. I like less potato and more cabbage. A nice Winter soup. I ordered the TSV so will make it in my first LeCreuset purchase.

Valued Contributor

I liked Bob Warden and wish I would have purchased some of his books. May hunt for them on E-Bay.

@wagirl wrote:

In the first Bob Warden pressure cooker book, there is a recipe for cabbage soup that has spuds, kielbasa, and  onions in it that is so amazing!!  I cooked meals for my brother and his wife for a few years and that soup was one they couldn't get enough of. Made in a pressure cooker so was fast and easy.will post recipe if wanted.

Honored Contributor

I like to sauté cabbage, onions, peppers and garlic, then add diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, and some brown sugar, simmer until soft, and eat as a side dish.   

Trusted Contributor

@Houstonoilers Check out youtube ccoking with Tammy for a fabulous southern fried cabbage, sausage and peppers recipe. Can serve it as a main dish, a side dish, on bums as a sandwich. I also love a good cole slaw, or steamed or stewed cabbage, cabbage added to stir fry dishes. Give me some stewed cabbage with a piece of cornbread and a piece of barbecue chicken and  I am happy. I have to say my husband was stationed in Korea for a year while in the military and he learned to really like Kimche, but I am not a fan. He also likes kraut sometimes, me not so much. When you think about it, cabbage is extremely versatile.