Honored Contributor

Recipe: America’s Test Kitchen’s Green Goddess Roast Chicken

This looks delish- will try it soon 

America’s Test Kitchen’s Green Goddess Roast Chicken

Serves 4 to 6

Elements of Green Goddess dressing liven up weeknight roast chicken. (America's Test Kitchen)

Ingredients:

½ cup chopped fresh parsley

¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk, divided use

2 tablespoons lemon juice

4 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon

2 garlic cloves, chopped

2 anchovy fillets, rinsed

¼ cup mayonnaise

1½ teaspoons salt

3 pounds bone-in chicken pieces (2 split breasts cut in half crosswise, 2 drumsticks, and 2 thighs), trimmed

Directions:

In a blender, process the chives, parsley, ¼ cup buttermilk, lemon juice, tarragon, garlic and anchovies until smooth, about 30 seconds, scraping down sides of blender jar as needed.

Transfer 2 tablespoons of the herb mixture to a bowl; add mayonnaise and remaining 1 tablespoon buttermilk and stir to combine. Cover and set aside until ready to serve.

Combine salt and remaining herb mixture in a 1-gallon zipper-lock bag. Add chicken to bag, press out air, seal the bag and turn to coat chicken in marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.

Adjust  oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place chicken, skin side up, on prepared sheet (do not brush off marinade that sticks to chicken). Make sure skin is not bunched up on the chicken. Roast until breasts register 160 degrees and drumsticks/thighs register 175 degrees, 25 to 30 minutes.

Transfer chicken to a platter, tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve the chicken with the sauce.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

Re: Recipe: America’s Test Kitchen’s Green Goddess Roast Chicken

@Chi-town girl 

I love herby chicken and when I saw this episode I wanted to jump through the TV and eat it.

Since their website is a paid site this is really generous of you to share the recipe. Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@Chi-town girl 

I love herby chicken and when I saw this episode I wanted to jump through the TV and eat it.

Since their website is a paid site this is really generous of you to share the recipe. Thank you!

@LizzieInSRQ  - you're welcome! I didn't see the episode, but those are good cooking shows. I found this recipe per a recent social newsfeed for one of my accounts - recipe was published by a newspaper. I'm going to try it soon

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl you better register at ProBoards dang it!

Honored Contributor

I would like to try it. BUT I am going to have to buy a container of buttermilk for 1/4 cup and 1 TSP.

I will end up throwing the rest of the buttermilk away. 

I am tempted since it is 1/4 cup, to just use milk. If the recipe called for a bit more buttermilk. I would not try.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

I would like to try it. BUT I am going to have to buy a container of buttermilk for 1/4 cup and 1 TSP.

I am tempted since it is 1/4 cup, to just use milk. If the recipe called for a bit more buttermilk. I would not try.

You could make your own. 

I just bought the new Green Goddess seasoning mix at TJ's. I think I will use it on some chicken tonight.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@drizzellla Put a 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of lemon juice or vinegar in 1/4 cup milk and let it sit a few minutes.  

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@drizzellla  Make your own buttermilk or sour milk with vinegar or lemon juice.  You would need to google it for exact amounts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

@drizzellla  Make your own buttermilk or sour milk with vinegar or lemon juice.  You would need to google it for exact amounts.

Thanks! Did not know that.

PS - I have steered clear of recipes with buttermilk now I will try to make my own.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

@drizzellla Put a 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of lemon juice or vinegar in 1/4 cup milk and let it sit a few minutes.  

Yes, this is a good hack for buttermilk.

I try to find the pint size containers. I also use buttermilk for an excellent America"s Test Kitchen Turkey Meatballs recipe.