Respected Contributor

This simple dish is our go-to for New Year's Day.  

First posted it  here in 2015 but thought I'd repeat if anyone has never tried it.  Variations can be found online.  Sometimes the cans of pasteurized jumbo lump or just lump crab can be scarce, but it's pasteurized and has a long shelf life in the fridge, so I buy it when I see it.

CRAB IMPERIAL--4 to 5 servings

Preheat oven to 350 or 375 degrees.

Lightly grease  a single shallow casserole dish or individual au gratin dishes or ramekins.

Drain liquid from two 8-oz. containers of  refrigerated crabmeat, pick out any stray shell, and place in a separate bowl.  Sprinkle crab with a little fresh lemon juice, if desired

Ingredients:

One beaten egg

1 cup mayonnaise or a little less if you prefer.

1/2 to 1 whole tsp. dry mustard or prepared mustard.

1/2 to 1 whole tsp. Old Bay or other seafood seasoning.

A couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce.

Lightly buttered panko or cracker crumbs for topping (optional).

Mix egg, mayo and seasonings in a bowl.

Fold together the crab and mayonnaise mixture.

Spoon into a mound in  casserole(s).

Top LIGHTLY with buttered  crumbs. Sprinkle a little Old Bay (or paprika) on top for added color.

Bake 30-35 minutes or until lightly  browned on edges and golden on top.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 

Oh yum! You had me at crabmeat. I swear I could survive on seafood!

Luckily I live in a coastal area, so seafood is plentiful and much less than in other parts of the country.

Thank you for re-posting your recipe, I must've missed it earlier!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

We like this recipe with boneless, skinless chicken breasts too.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

I envy you for living close to fresh seafood.  Years ago when DH and I were dating, we'd go often with friends to crab shacks on the Chespeake Bay and crack crabs until we got sick of them.

These days, the only convenient crab is refrigerated in little cups under the Phillips name, but comes from Asia and bears no relation to the wonderful crab one could  order at the famous Phillips crab restaurants in Maryland and DC

I've just been settling for the refrigerated tubs for many years, both when living in the Virginia suburbs of DC and now in Georgia.

Honored Contributor

Mentally had all the ingredients except the crab.  Wonder if it work for thawed shrimp?

Respected Contributor

Re: CRAB IMPERIAL

[ Edited ]

@depglass 

Don't know about using shrimp.  I can think of many ways to  prepare and eat shrimp instead of mixing it up with beaten egg/mayo and baking in an oven.  The textures of shrimp vs. lump crabmeat are entirely different.

My shrimp favorites are plain old cold shrimp cocktail, shrimp salad made with celery and mayo, or shrimp scampi over rice.

However, anything that appeals to you is worth a try.  Hope I didn't discourage you.

Honored Contributor

I love Imperial crab.  I know I have a few 1 lb cans of crab meat in my freezer. Time to use them up.

I am just wondering how to stretch 1 lb of crab meat into 4-5 servings.  I could eat the whole thing myself...but am more than likely to share with my DH.

Thank you for posting the recipe.

Respected Contributor

Re: CRAB IMPERIAL

[ Edited ]

@Carmie 

My husband polishes off two individual au gratin dishes full ot it.  He's not the least bit fat but eats very litte during the day and works out at the gym daily. He makes up for it at dinner, though!

When the dish is baked, the egg and mayo lend a lot of bulk and the crab/mayo is too rich for me to eat much at one time.  DH always eats a double serving.   I put some in the fridge and eat  for my lunch the next day.  It's not as good the second time around but I'm not hard  to please.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1   I can just open the can of crab meat and eat it....no need to mix the crab with anything.  I just love crab.

There is a store near me that sells over stock grocery  items really cheap.  A few months ago, they were selling cans of 1 lb lump crab meat for $8.  I bought 10 cans, then went back for more.

We ate a few cans. I make crab cakes and  I make a mean hot crab spread...and I put the rest in the freezer.  I really should use them up.  Your recipe sounds really delicious.  I can't wait to try it.

Respected Contributor

Was real disappointed when Costo quit selling the Phillips crab, but DH said he finally saw it at Costco right before Christmas. 

Probably won't be there when I go  in a few days, but will grab it if it is.