Trusted Contributor
On 3/20/2015 doglover3 said:

This is the version of the Coco Lopez cake that I've made many times. It calls for 1 can sweetened condensed milk and 1 can Coco Lopez, but no cool whip or frosting. This cake is very rich, but very delicious....and easy! I prefer to use frozen coconut--it seems fresher to me.

EASY COCONUT CREAM CAKE by gulfcoastms
Ingredients
1 (18 ¼ or 18 ½ ounce) package yellow (or white if you prefer) cake mix
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
1 (15-ounce Coco Lopez ® Cream of Coconut
1 (3 ½ ounce) can flaked coconut ( 1 2/3 cups)
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Instructions
Prepare cake mix as package directs; bake in 13x9 inch baking pan as directed.

With a table knife or skewer, poke holes about 1 inch apart in cake almost to bottom.

Top with remaining ingredients in order listed. Cool Cut into squares. Store covered in refrigerator.

I make a coconut refrigerator cake that is very similar to this. No nuts, but I add coconut to the cake batter before baking. After you add the liquid (the poke cake part), is topped with whipped cream (the real deal, never Cool Whip) and toasted coconut. It is absolutely amazing and a great summer dessert as it is served cold. It's very moist and creamy. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

Frequent Contributor

I found this recipe that was contributed by Daphne Oz on The Chew. I tried it 2 weeks ago and it is delicious -- and easy.

Daphne Oz's Coconut Pound Cake

skill level: Easy; time : 60-120min; servings : 8 to 10 Contributed by: Daphne Oz

This cake is moist and tasty. Treat yourself to a slice.

ingredients

• FOR THE CAKE:
  • 4 Eggs
  • 2 cups Sugar
  • 1 cup Unsalted Butter
  • 3 cups Flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 cup Buttermilk
  • 1 cup Flaked Coconut (unsweetened)
  • 1 cup Chopped Pecans
  • FOR THE GLAZE:
  • 1/2 cup Water
  • 2 tablespoon Salted Butter
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • powdered sugar for dusting

FOR THE CAKE: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar and butter and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, approximately 3 minutes. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk in three parts to batter and mix gently until just moistened. Stir in coconut and pecans. Pour batter into a pound cake mold. (They used bundt pan on the show) Bake for 60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

FOR THE GLAZE: Five minutes before cake is finished baking, make the glaze. Combine water, butter and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes. Slowly pour half the syrup over the cake, invert onto serving plate, and pour remaining syrup over top. Dust with powdered sugar, let sit for 10 minutes, and eat warm!

© 2011 ABC Television / the chew

Respected Contributor

ceh, thanks for posting this coconut cake recipe. We love coconut here.

vamp, would love it you would post the recipe, also sounds very good and easy as well.

reiki, will check it out, thanks

Mariel, we too love coconut so copy any recipe I get and try it. The one that was my grams is over 100 years old and is excellent, very moist. Most I have seen don't have coconut in the cake itself, some do of course, and think this also helps to make the cake so moist.

This is good for Easter since I top with jelly beans and put a tiny rabbit and basket on the top, cute for kids or anyone that loves coconut. My sister colors her coconut either green or yellow, decides the last minute which she wants that day.

Honored Contributor

I have made Alton Brown's Coconut Cake from scratch! OMG, I even toasted my own coconut. It was killer, and so authentic. Paula Deen has a wonderful recipe. However since I discovered Smith Island Cakes, I buy their Coconut Cake. So worth it. You can't get better! I have tried them all, as coconut is my favorite cake in the world.

Respected Contributor

looks good shoekitty but as far as buying one we do love the one I make that is my grams and it too is very easy to make but Vamps sure sounds good as well not that this one you have pictured here doesn't look good, sure does that's for sure.

I do like to try other ones though as well, may find another great one.

Honored Contributor

doglover

It is always better to make the cakes! You have a good recipe, tried and true. When you make them, you know exactly what goes into them, and you can adjust to suit your family. It is healthier as well.

I just don't bake like I used to. I wish I did because baking is my favorite thing in the world. Unfortunatley, as anyone can tell you I love to eat what I bake>{#emotions_dlg.blushing} Hahaha. I have no will power when it comes to baked goods. Forget Coconut cake, I am a wild women when it comes to this cake.

I am glad to see so many recipes. I am copying them. Someday......I may actually bake again

Respected Contributor

shoekitty, know what you mean. DH loves my funny cake(his favorite) which is also very very old but my recipe makes 2 huge ones so I freeze one. This coconut cake also freezes very well. I cut each into individual slices and wrap in either saran or foil than put in a freezer baggie.

I am the same way it I can see it, lol. I love this coconut cake as well and would eat the whole thing in 2 days I do believe.

Don't get me wrong, also buy baked cakes when I want certain ones.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Oh no...I shouldn't have opened this thread. Now I'm in trouble.

Member Since 11/20/2008
Honored Contributor

Thanks for sharing all the recipes. Here is a Coconut Cake recipe my dad makes. It's soooo yummy. The only place I have found the frozen coconut is Wal-Mart in the same area they keep cool whip. It's better the next day after the sugar/milk mixture you pour over it absorbs into the cake & makes it really moist.

Coconut Cake
1 yellow box cake mix with pudding
2 - 6 oz bags frozen coconut – thawed
2 c sugar
1 c milk
8 oz cool whip
Make cake per package directions.
On low to medium heat mix sugar & milk to slow boil, stir often
When it comes to a boil add 3 oz of crumbled coconut & stir
Don’t cool cake. Pour the sugar, milk, coconut mixture over cake
Sprinkle 3 oz coconut on cake
Cool cake on rack
When cool spread cool whip to cover, sprinkle remaining 6 oz crumbled coconut on top
Keep in the refrigerator.
Image result for birds eye frozen coconut
Respected Contributor
On 3/20/2015 doglover3 said:

This is the version of the Coco Lopez cake that I've made many times. It calls for 1 can sweetened condensed milk and 1 can Coco Lopez, but no cool whip or frosting. This cake is very rich, but very delicious....and easy! I prefer to use frozen coconut--it seems fresher to me.

EASY COCONUT CREAM CAKE by gulfcoastms
Ingredients
1 (18 ¼ or 18 ½ ounce) package yellow (or white if you prefer) cake mix
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
1 (15-ounce Coco Lopez ® Cream of Coconut
1 (3 ½ ounce) can flaked coconut ( 1 2/3 cups)
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Instructions
Prepare cake mix as package directs; bake in 13x9 inch baking pan as directed.

With a table knife or skewer, poke holes about 1 inch apart in cake almost to bottom.

Top with remaining ingredients in order listed. Cool Cut into squares. Store covered in refrigerator.

This is the EXACT recipe I use and I get compliments every time I make it. The Cream of Coconut can be found in the liquor section.

If I make it for Easter, I scatter a few jelly beans around it to make it look seasonal.