Contributor

No sugar, almond meringue bites

Meringue is my favorite dessert, so I decided to make this healthier, mini meringue cookie version and I can't get enough of it!

http://paleontastic.com/recipe-items/paleo-meringue-bites/

Paleo Dessert - Meringue Bites

• 1. Preheat oven to 200F
  • 2. Using double boiler method, bring 1 to 2 inches water to a simmer. In a mixer bowl combine egg whites, maple syrup, lemon juice or vinegar, 1/4 tsp of salt and set over pot of simmering water; stirring until mixture is warm, about 2 to 3 minutes.
  • 3. Remove bowl from heat and using a whisk attachment on high speed, beat mixture until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 5-10 minutes. The meringue mixture should be firm and glossy and keep its shape.
  • 4. Fold in 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder.
  • 5. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Using baking bag with a tip, transfer meringue mixture onto prepared baking sheets to shape meringue bites, spacing about 1 inch apart.
  • 6. Top each meringue piece with almonds and sprinkle with additional cinnamon. Sprinkle tops of meringues with a pinch of sea salt.
  • 7. Bake until dry, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours rotating the sheets half way through.
  • 8. Turn oven off and cool completely inside oven. If removed too soon, the meringue can deflate or become chewy. Once cooled - remove from the oven and indulge away!

Respected Contributor

Re: No sugar, almond meringue bites

love meringue cookies and these look good. thanks