Esteemed Contributor

Any suggestions for a casserole I can bring to neighbor's house for Christmas dinner?  They're ordering the usual from the market (turkey, mashed potato, squash, etc.) and I'd feel better if I brought something.

I'm not the world's greatest cook, probably the worst baker, so anything relatively easy, yet homemade, would be appreciated.  And, if you've got a recipe that would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Esteemed Contributor

i'm thinking something green....maybe a broccoli casserole...sure there are lots of recipes on the internet....

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme 

This crustless quiche could be put in a greased 9 x 9 casserole.  It's highly requested here!

Spinach Quiche (Crustless)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 Tbls. Oil

1 lg. onion, chopped

1 pkg chopped, frozen spinach, thawed, all water squeezed out

I put in a colander and press with a spoon.

5 eggs

¾ lbs Muenster (or Haverti) cheese, grated

Salt, pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Spray pie plate

Heat oil in skillet over med heat

Add onion cook only until clear

Add spinach, cook only until excess moisture is out

Let cool.

Beat eggs in bowl with fork or whisk.

Add cheese,  and salt, pepper to taste

Stir onion, spinach mixture in.

Pour into pie plate

Bake 40-45 minutes until lightly brown.

Valued Contributor

Sweet potato souffle, corn pudding casserole, cranberry salad, green bean casserole, broccoli casserole

Contributor

I am going to make this for the first time on Christmas as a side dish. Seems like it should travel well and can be made ahead.

Mexican corn salad 

From Recipe Tin Eats

Her site has a video and additional notes

Ingredients

5 cups corn cut from the cob (~4 large ears) (or frozen corn, not thawed)

2 tbsp butter

2 garlic cloves , minced

1/2 tsp each salt and pepper

1/4 cup mayonnaise (can cut down to 2 tbsp)

1/4 cup sour cream 

1/2 cup parmesan cheese , finely grated 

1 tbsp Jalapeno , deseeded and finely chopped (optional)

1 cup parsley roughly chopped..or cilantro 

1 cup green onion , finely sliced (~2 stems)

Bit of red onion , finely chopped

2 - 3 tbsp lime juice , fresh 

Garnishes

2 oz Cotija or Feta , crumbled (optional) 

Jalapeno or lime

Instructions

Cut off kernels: Cut the corn off the cob-If using frozen, do not thaw.

Brown corn: Melt butter in a large skillet over high heat. Add garlic and stir for 10 seconds. Add corn and cook for 5 minutes, stirring every now and then, until you get lovely golden brown bits and the corn is cooked and sweet (don't stir constantly, harder to brown).

Season corn: Add salt and pepper halfway through cooking corn.

Toss with dressing: Transfer corn into large bowl. Add mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice and parmesan. Toss well to combine - heat will "melt" dressing. Add parsley, red onion, green onion and jalapeño . Toss again.

Serve: Transfer to serving bowl. Crumble over cotija/feta and garnishes of choice. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like you'll have plenty of warm foods already and, since you aren't a confident cook (neither am I), why not bring something like a crudite platter? 

You could keep it simple with celery, baby carrots, red and green bell peppers (festive!), cucumbers, radishes...whatever suits you. Add a nice homemade dip or buy one that's already prepared. 

This may not be what you wanted since you asked for casserole recipes but I thought I'd add this as a suggestion. I'd also ask  ahead of time if they mind you bring an addition to the meal as a courtesy to the host. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Ambrosia is pretty simple and healthy.  You can use a variety of fruits.  Oranges, apples, grapes, coconut, pomegranate seeds.  Was one of my favorites at Christmas time.  Looked so festive and makes a different side dish.

Esteemed Contributor

Not a baked casserole but suggestion:

A fruit side dish - mandarin oranges (from jar) - purple grapes sliced in half - -  - sliced apple or banana - m cherries - chopped course walnuts - pieces of pineapple - tossed lightly with mayo.

Kind of adds a 'cool' taste from all the hot foods.

Trusted Contributor

I don't have a good casserole idea to share, but mabye something like a cranberry sauce (recipe on package - very easy) or a relish that is just done in a food processor.

Something else different might be bread or rolls with a honey butter.  There are copycat recipes for Texas Roadhouse rolls and butter.  you could buy the bread/rolls and make the butter which is very easy and sooooo good!

If you decide not to bring a dish, I'll also add that I host Thanksgiving dinner and just love when someone brings me flowers! 

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG this sounds good!  I might make this for myslf!