Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@ECBG  That sounds good and very easy. Have you ever made it with a crust?

@BlueFinch 

Actually,  it's firm enough without a crust and much less calories,  but you could of course.

Reheats in the microwave beautifully. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Coastalcarolina wrote:

Ambrosia is pretty simple and healthy.  You can use a variety of fruits.  Oranges, apples, grapes, coconut, pomegranate seeds.  Was one of my favorites at Christmas time.  Looked so festive and makes a different side dish.

I was going to recommend ambrosia as well.

1 can mandarin orange sections - drain fluid, but set aside

1 can chunk pineapple in fruit sauce - drain fluid

1 small bag of shredded coconut

1 small bag of mini marshmallows

1 8 oz cream cheese

1 8 oz sour cream

1 8 oz cool whip (thawed)

Optional: 2 oz of Grand Marnier  or 2 oz of Amaretto (you can sometimes get little sampler bottles where they sell liquor).

Place coconut on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven for 5-8 minutes or until coconut is brown. This can be done ahead as you want coconut to cool down.

Mix cream cheese, sour cream and either juice from drained mandarin oranges and/or the liqueur until smooth. Fold in the cool whip topping. Mix the mandarin oranges, mini marshmallows, pineapple and half the coconut into the cream cheese blend.  Put into a pretty serving dish and top w/ the remaining toasted coconut.

This can be made the day before and is actually better on day 2 and day 3. I use the liqueur if I know children are not going to be eating. It doesn't need the liqueur to be good, it just adds a nice zing.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Re: CHRISTMAS DINNER

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme   How about an interesting green, lettuce salad,

with nuts, cranberries, candied pecans, croutons.

Edited to add:  Million dollar dip was recently posted and sounds really good!

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@eddyandme 

This crustless quiche could be put in a greased 9 x 9 casserole.  It's highly requested here!

Spinach Quiche (Crustless)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 Tbls. Oil

1 lg. onion, chopped

1 pkg chopped, frozen spinach, thawed, all water squeezed out

I put in a colander and press with a spoon.

5 eggs

¾ lbs Muenster (or Haverti) cheese, grated

Salt, pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Spray pie plate

Heat oil in skillet over med heat

Add onion cook only until clear

Add spinach, cook only until excess moisture is out

Let cool.

Beat eggs in bowl with fork or whisk.

Add cheese,  and salt, pepper to taste

Stir onion, spinach mixture in.

Pour into pie plate

Bake 40-45 minutes until lightly brown.

@ECBG 

This looks good, but I've never made a quiche w/o whipping cream or half and half. How is the texture? Seems like a scrambled egg casserole. Not that there's anything wrong w/ that ... just curious is all. I like spinach quiche a lot. The hardest part if you use frozen is getting all the dang moisture out so you don't end up w/ green goo. Smiley Happy 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@BlueFinch wrote:

@ECBG  That sounds good and very easy. Have you ever made it with a crust?

@BlueFinch 

Actually,  it's firm enough without a crust and much less calories,  but you could of course.

Reheats in the microwave beautifully. 

@ECBG Thanks, I'll give it a try without the crust. You had to go and mention those darn calories ... LOL

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Any suggestions for a casserole I can bring to neighbor's house for Christmas dinner?  They're ordering the usual from the market (turkey, mashed potato, squash, etc.) and I'd feel better if I brought something.

I'm not the world's greatest cook, probably the worst baker, so anything relatively easy, yet homemade, would be appreciated.  And, if you've got a recipe that would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

@eddyandme Have you asked what you can bring?  If they say nothing, do not bring a dish.  

Maybe bring a small gift like some rolls for breakfast the next day, a new dish towel, or something like that.  Maybe a holiday themed little jar of peppermints, candy canes, etc. even something that everyone could take home like a cute candy cane, etc.    

But if they say don't bring food, don't bring food.  

I hope you enjoy the day and have a great time!  

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch 

HIPS!  You know!!!!!!!Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Cranberry Brie

This is always a hit.  Make Ahead, quick and easy

Source:  Christmas with Southern Living 2003:

A wheel of buttery brie is crowned with a glistening mix of cranberries, pecans, brown sugar and honey.

1 8" round of brie (about 2 pounds)

3/4 cup dried cranberries or sweetened dried cranberries

3/4 cup finely chopped pecans 

3 T light brown sugar

1/4 cup honey

Trim rind from top of brie , leaving a 1/2" border.  Place brie on a microwave -safe plate.

Combine cranberries, pecans and sugar; sprinkle over brie.  Cover and chill until ready to heat.

Microwave at HIGH (1-1/2 to 2 minutes) (WATCH CLOSELY!) or just until cheese is softened.  Serve with crackers and pear slices.  

Yield:16 appetizer servings,

I like to serve it with Carr's whole wheat crackers.

Honored Contributor

roasted green beans or asparagus

or Brussel sprouts

slice garlic and toss with a bit of oil

cook till done

super easy 

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you soooo much for all the suggestions and advice.  As mentioned here I nothing but me per Del and there will be tons of food.  I appreciate your advice of asking instead of just bringing - you saved me from making a faux pas!

I'm getting my booster this Saturday at CVS.  While there I shall pick up some Hersey kisses - 'cause the people LOVE chocolates and I figure if they do not serve them, my neighbor can enjoy them later.  Do you think that will be all right?

P.S.  Those recipes you've posted all sound DELICIOUS!Woman Very Happy  I'm gonna save them and make them for myself - and probably share some for Del.  She's 91 and I kinda help her and give her some goodies when they come out right.  I

think she'll enjoy them too!

Again, thank you all for helping me out!  MERRY CHRISTMAS!