Esteemed Contributor

Was just watching Pioneer Woman.  She made a Ceasar salad using raw brussel sprouts which sounds like something I'd like to try.  

However, in making the dressing - looked yummy! - she included two raw egg yolks.  I'm wondering if raw eggs are considered safe.  If you make your own dressing do you include raw yolks?  If not, what do you substitute?

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Was just watching Pioneer Woman.  She made a Ceasar salad using raw brussel sprouts which sounds like something I'd like to try.  

However, in making the dressing - looked yummy! - she included two raw egg yolks.  I'm wondering if raw eggs are considered safe.  If you make your own dressing do you include raw yolks?  If not, what do you substitute?

classic ceaser is make with raw egg yolk but surprised that someone would do that now , does she have her own chickens and knows where her eggs come from ?

I love a Kale Ceaser 

Respected Contributor

I make my Caesar dressing using a Waring blender:  Good Seasons Salad dressing (mixed), raw egg and can of anchovies.  Blend!  All done, easy peasy.  Works as a great dip as well.

I've done Blue Cheese dressing the same way in a blender.  Good Seasons, chuck of blue cheese, blend!

Valued Contributor

I use a three minute egg in my salad.  Carefully drop egg into boiling water and cook for 3 minutes.  Take out with a slotted spoon and run it under cold water.  When cool enough to handle, remove top of shell and scoop out egg.  

The white will be partially cooked but I blend it into the dressing by whisking. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

I would not use raw eggs.  You can  hard boil cook  two  eggs , then just scoop out the yolks  when thy are  still warm  . Then mash the cooked yolks   with a fork . Then add this to your  dressing & mix well with a wire wisp  .  or Use  very sm amt ( tablespoon )  of some miracle wip in your dressing instead of raw eggs.

Esteemed Contributor

I have used raw eggs in making Caesar salad dressing and never had a problem.  If you listen to Rachel Ray, she doesn't even refrigerate eggs at all.  I think it all falls back to what you were raised with and the availability to fresh eggs.  You need to do you. I'm ok with raw eggs if I have faith in the restaurant I am eating at but if not, I won't order a Caesar salad.  

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme No raw egg yolks are not safe. But she can do that because she has her chickens.Don't do it please!! The t.v. cooks ought to think before they talk. 

Respected Contributor

@mustang66lady Farm fresh eggs don't have to be refrigerated, but once they are they, have to remain refrigerated. And if I heard Raphael Ray correctly she has her own chickens . A very big difference. The eggs are safe if you have your own chickens.

Honored Contributor

Re: CEASAR SALAD

[ Edited ]

@mustang66lady wrote:

I have used raw eggs in making Caesar salad dressing and never had a problem.  If you listen to Rachel Ray, she doesn't even refrigerate eggs at all.  I think it all falls back to what you were raised with and the availability to fresh eggs.  You need to do you. I'm ok with raw eggs if I have faith in the restaurant I am eating at but if not, I won't order a Caesar salad.  

My boss told me that in most counties, eggs are kept at room temperature.  When she was in the UK, they kept eggs  room temps for several weeks. Only in the U.S., they are kept in the refrigerator.  Whenever you cook using eggs, they should be close to room temperature.  You shouldn't cook them cold.  It affects the baking time.  If an egg is cold, cook them with in two hours of taking them out. I let them sit out for a bit after they are taken out of the fridge.

In our neighborhood there is a convent where the nuns raise chickens (you can hear that rooster several times a day)  They are kept in a cool area, but not refridgerated.

Honored Contributor

Re: CEASAR SALAD

[ Edited ]

If you get farm fresh eggs that has NOT been washed you do not need to refrigerate them.  They have a natural protective layer on the shell.

However, eggs from the store have been washed those MUST be refrigerated.  The protective layer has been washed off.

"They" (whoever that is) say that any raw egg is dangerous.  Im not so sure I believe this.  I have eaten raw batters and Caesar Salads with raw eggs all my life and I have never gotten sick, my kids did too.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)