Honored Contributor

question regarding pie crust cut outs for top of pie

hi ladies.....i have a question regarding pie crust cut outs for the top of the pie.

i am making a pumpkin pie and of course it does not have the pie crust on the top. i am cheating and using the pillsbury pie crust that is all ready made. there are two in a box.

i want to do cut outs for the top of the pumpkin pie (acorns, leaves, pumpkins.) do i put these on while the pie is cooking OR do i bake them separately so that i just decorate the pie with them after the pie has cooked?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Re: question regarding pie crust cut outs for top of pie

i believe you have to cook them separately. unless you are embellishing the crust portion around the rim.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I do this every year.  Make the cut outs and bake separately.  You can drop them on the top of the pie when it's finished.  Great for covering up cracks or testing knife marks.

Good luck.  Happy Thanksgiving

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

hi ladies.....i have a question regarding pie crust cut outs for the top of the pie.

i am making a pumpkin pie and of course it does not have the pie crust on the top. i am cheating and using the pillsbury pie crust that is all ready made. there are two in a box.

i want to do cut outs for the top of the pumpkin pie (acorns, leaves, pumpkins.) do i put these on while the pie is cooking OR do i bake them separately so that i just decorate the pie with them after the pie has cooked?

I always do them separately, and everyone loves the extra crust !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

thank you thank you!

i did not even think about covering up spots that may not look so good!

i appreciate the help. Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I'm no pie maker but this looks like a Quiz question - and a good one.

I would guess you bake the cut-out and then 'place' them ON the pie after pie has baked.

Otherwise the weight of the dough cut-out would sink down in to the fluid pie (if it were unbaked)

Now I'll see what real pie makers say!

Esteemed Contributor

I'll likely never need this information, but I love learning, even little offbeat things like when to put the decorations on the pumpkin pie. 

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

That's because it's the best part!  I always save the crust for last.  If it's a double crusted pie, I scrape the filling out and eat that first.

Honored Contributor

If it's a fruit pie, I eat the top crust with the pie.  I don't eat the back of the pastry.  THOSE calories belong to the half roll I get.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

That's because it's the best part!  I always save the crust for last.  If it's a double crusted pie, I scrape the filling out and eat that first.

@CelticCrafter 

i do the same thing! i eat all of the filling and then save the crust for last.

i did bake my pumpkin pie today. it came out nicely and i did the little cut outs separately and then placed them on the pie after it cooled. i brushed the little cut outs with butter and topped them with cinnamon sugar. again, thanks to everyone for their help! hope you all have a wonderful thanksgiving!