Honored Contributor

Re: Brookies? A first for me.

@house_cat That was so kind of you to make those! I just don't have the patience to make them, tho most of my life I've loved baking, especially brownies for my late DH and yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting for my grands!

Regular Contributor

Aldi's has a brookie mix- at least they do in southern CA.  I also think that some major cake mix brands have a brookie mix as well, but I can't recall which ones.  The box has 2 bags inside, one brownie mix and the other the cookie mix.  They are relatively quick and easy to make and my grandkids love them!  Of course, I am sure the homemade ones taste much better.

Honored Contributor

My mother used to make this recipe as cookies, but she called them "Brookies":

Brownie batter:

10 tbsp softened butter

2/3 cup brown sugar

2/3 cup sugar

1 egg + 1 egg yolk

1 tsp vanilla

1 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp flour

1/2 cup cocoa

1 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

Beat butter and sugars with electric mixer until smooth.  Beat in egg, yolk, amd vanilla until light in color.  In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.  Mix into butter/sugar mixture.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Cookie batter:

10 tbsp softened butter

2/3 cup sugar

2/3 cup brown sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1 egg + 1 egg yolk

2 cups + 2 tbsp flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (or chopped regular size)

Beat butter and sugars with electric mixer until smooth.  Beat in egg, yolk, and vanilla until light in color.  In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, and salt.  Mix dry ingredients and chocolate chips into butter/sugar mixture.

Roll brownie dough into teaspoon-sized balls.  Roll cookie dough into teaspoon-sized balls.  Press 1 brownie ball and 1 cookie ball together and form into 1 flat, but thick (about 1/2"), cookie.  Bake on parchment-lined baking sheet until slightly underbaked, 8-10 minutes.  Let cool on sheet for 2 minutes before moving to rack to cool completely.    

Trusted Contributor

@retiredatlast wrote:

Aldi's has a brookie mix- at least they do in southern CA.  I also think that some major cake mix brands have a brookie mix as well, but I can't recall which ones.  The box has 2 bags inside, one brownie mix and the other the cookie mix.  They are relatively quick and easy to make and my grandkids love them!  Of course, I am sure the homemade ones taste much better.

Yes, I thought this looked familiar, I've made these before but from a mix, much easier, but probably not as delicious!

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

@house_cat They look yummy!!!  If you used Ghirardelli chocolate it will be sinful!  I've never heard of them either.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

Yummy!  Thank you for posting, I'm starving for them now, hope you got to have at least one.

BTW - the saucer, plate, and cup - really nice.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

This is good and much easier.71C2689D-27B6-4795-A84C-A79A13E005DD.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

brookie.jpg

Honored Contributor

Something I've never heard of. That young friend got a pretty tasty thank you.

Honored Contributor

Okay, here's my review of this recipe....

Wow! They were so delicious!  I ate two of them after dinner last night with my tea. In my defense, they were small. 🤥  In any case, they are totally worth all the trouble and I will make them again.  I should also mention that I don't like brownies - these were very different from regular brownies. I highly recommend.  

Also, if you make them, do not skip the step of lining the pan with parchment. It would have literally been a hot mess had I not done that.

~ house cat ~