Respected Contributor

Does anybody have a great birthday cake recipe they like to share?  I would like to make my daughter's birthday cake this year.  Homemade.  Been searching on the web for a while now and nothing really catching my eye.  Either they are way  too many ingredients or too difficult.  I'm looking for an easy, delicious cake and frosting.  My daughter likes a vanilla cake and frosting (as long as it's white frosting but no cream cheese in it).  I'm only finding buttercream recipes but that's not her fave.  I'll be using 8 inch round pans.  Thanks everybody!  

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

@homedecor1 loves baking and bakes quite a few cakes.

Honored Contributor

Google Ermine icing, it is like whipped cream, and uses flour .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

This was posted by SF Native a year or so ago...

Hi,  Can hardly believe it, but finally found the recipe.  Here it is.  You may find the Crisco comment weird, but this recipe has been around for a while.  At the time, Crisco was making a butter colored version, hence the comment to use "white" Crisco.

White Cake

Makes 2 – 8” rounds

Oven : 350F

Pans:  Grease and Flour

2-1/2 cups a/p flour

1-1/2 cups cane sugar

4 tsp baking powder

½ tsp salt

2/3 cup white Crisco (vice the yellow variety)

1-1/4 cups whole milk (room temp)

1 tsp vanilla

2/3 cup or 4 egg whites  (room temp)

Lightly spoon flour into a cup measure and level off to equal the required amount.  Sift flour, baking powder and salt.  Add all ingredients but egg whites together into the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.  Beat 1-1/2 minutes at medium speed.

In a separate bowl, with a hand mixer, beat the egg whites, just until a tic past soft peaks are formed. 

Remove the large mixer bowl from the mixer stand.  With a large spoon, add about 1-1/2 cups of whipped egg white into the mixture.  With a spatula, add the egg whites into the mixture to loosen it up.  Now, add the remaining egg whites and gently fold with the spatula, until all are incorporated.

Spread carefully into cake pans.  Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.  Time will depend upon your oven.  Cool ten minutes before removing from pans.

Enjoy ~ Rebecca

Esteemed Contributor

Just a suggestion for the frosting: maybe consider a 7-minute frosting. I don't have a recipe, but it's what my mother made for my birthday cakes (heart-shaped cherry flavor) for 18 years. There's just nothing like a fluffy 7-minute frosting IMO! I'm sure there are plenty of recipes online.

Honored Contributor

When I'm browsing recipes, I find the Taste of Home website to have easy recipes with common ingredients.

Honored Contributor

Here is a pretty one for a girl, although it was my dad's favorite too.  Mix up a white cake mix* using the liquid from a jar of maraschino cherries as part of the liquid.  Chop the cherries and about 1/2 cup pecans and add to the cake.  Add about 1/8 tsp almond extract.  Pour into 2  9"pans and bake as directed. Cool on rack and ice with your favorite white icing. 

*cake mixes are so skimpy now that I add about 6 tsp flour and 1 tsp baking powder so the cake will be fuller. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Here is a pretty one for a girl, although it was my dad's favorite too.  Mix up a white cake mix* using the liquid from a jar of maraschino cherries as part of the liquid.  Chop the cherries and about 1/2 cup pecans and add to the cake.  Add about 1/8 tsp almond extract.  Pour into 2  9"pans and bake as directed. Cool on rack and ice with your favorite white icing. 

*cake mixes are so skimpy now that I add about 6 tsp flour and 1 tsp baking powder so the cake will be fuller. 

I noticed the same thing! Cake mixes are so skimpy now, they don't even fill two round pans anymore. That's weird. How are we supposed to bake them when there's not enough batter anymore? I love the recipe with the cherries and the pecans. I made that cake for Valentine's Day, and it was so delicious! Good pick! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Birthday Cake

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappy 

I just saw your request.  Although I've made many "scratch" cakes but lately I'm loving the Duncan Hines French Vanilla OR White cake mixes.  It tastes homemade to me!

I like 8" round therefore, since cake mixes are about 4 c. I will make 2 boxes. I make a few cupcakes with the extra batter.  To the batter I add some colored sprinkles to make it festive.

I don't bake full time as noted in directions only about 23 min or until tester comes out clean so it's moist. Once cooled, cut layers in 1/2 getting 4 "thin" layers.  

This week I am home for long weekend 💃💃we are celebrating gd 10th bday & my son (40🙄🤦🏼‍♀️) & Mother's day.  I will be making the cake -- something simple.

I am making a white layer cake w/marshmallow fluff icing (pure white).  You won't taste the butter at all...just make sure it's not to "stiff" (I've used this recipe for years from Betty Crocker)

77904EA4-DC17-4871-AD57-8EFF01A354C1.jpeg 

I will make large rosettes for the frosting (large pretty swirls using large star tip) and finish with a "sprinkling of sprinkles"

01970AEF-E1A9-467A-BB8D-DB0E8C124785.jpeg

Happy Birthday to your daughter 🎂🧁

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

Thank you!!!