Super Contributor

Re: Big jar of marinated mushrooms at Costco

Love the Paisley Farms Bean Salad. 

I guess our local Costco doesn't carry the Mushrooms.. 

Honored Contributor

I was disappointed to learn that these mushrooms are made with cane sugar.  That makes them a “no” for me. 😕

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch

How much sugar do you suppose is actually availble to digest after lifting the mushrooms out of the vinegar-based marinade?

A serving of 1/2 cup of those mushrooms contains 30 calories.  I doubt enough sugar is in that serving to kill anyone...........just a guess.

Sometimes it's not necessary to so closely scrutinize miniscule amounts of something in a particular food iitem when so little of the food itself is consumed by one person at one time.

That's just my opinion.  (And I don't like  the sweet taste sugar, meaning the heavily  added type in more decadent foods containing lots of calories).

The main tastes I get after eating a few of those mushrooms are the vinegar, garlic, very spicy red pepper,  and  herbs that they've been marinating in.  They are definitely NOT a dessert or candy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1- maybe it’s ok for you, but I am committed to a healthy keto lifestyle, which means I avoid unhealthy added sugars and fuel my body with healthy fats. Eating sugars makes a person want more of it. If I succumbed, that would kick me out of ketosis (fat burning). It’s not worth it to me, to risk jeopardizing my success (136 lbs. lost, multiple area of improvement in my heath, and feeling fantastic)