Valued Contributor

This is a nice variation on the original beignet. I recently made these for a weekend brunch and they were ridiculously delicious!

**Note: Frying at the perfect temperature of 375* keeps them light and crispy so they soak up no oil whatsoever.

Banana Beignets

2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus more for frying
1 1/2 cups cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup mashed banana
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind (optional: but brightens them up)
1/2 tsp vanilla or banana extract

1. Heat about 2 inches vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375*

OR use your deep fryer (375*)
  2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/3 cup granulated sugar in a large bowl.
  3. Whisk the egg, milk, mashed banana and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in another bowl. Add the vanilla extract and lemon rind.
  4. Combine the remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a shallow bowl and set aside.
  5. Whisk the banana mixture into the dry ingredients until just moistened.
  6. Working in batches, drop rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 15 seconds per side.
  7. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on paper towels, and then roll in the cinnamon sugar while still warm. Or place in a brown paper bag, add some of the cinnamon sugar mixture or part of the powdered sugar, and then shake it up.

I want to make the beingets at work for my friends.  I will have to make and cut out the dough the night before.  It will be about 14 hours before I can cook them in the kitchen at work.  What temp should I store the dough at while it waits?  

QVC Customer Care

Thread has been blocked for new replies bumped up from 2011.