Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian  I'm sure you can make this in a regular pot...just will take a little longer.  I checked You Tube and right away 4 versions came up for the Red Lentil Chili.  If you google The Chef and The Dietitian Episode 56 You Tube you will get the original recipe.  You can also just google You Tube Chef AJ Red Lentil Chili and you will get several versions.  Take a look at some of the spices/herbs I added when I responded to @sidsmom  a few posts back...you might be inspired to be creative and come up with an even better version!  I'm sure it will be delicious!  I put this chili over baked potatoes as well as rice...yum!

Honored Contributor

Sounds like some don't know that there fresh bay leaves just like any other of the dried herbs you buy in the grocery store can be bought fresh also. 

There are bay leaf trees in Calif. and Mediterranean countries.

A few store in my area have them. So in the grocery store they are just 'dry brittle leaves' as are all the other brittle herbs ground up and put into small bottles.

It took me awhile to find the second bay leaf in my pot roast! LOL

Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Misplaced Parisian  I'm sure you can make this in a regular pot...just will take a little longer.  I checked You Tube and right away 4 versions came up for the Red Lentil Chili.  If you google The Chef and The Dietitian Episode 56 You Tube you will get the original recipe.  You can also just google You Tube Chef AJ Red Lentil Chili and you will get several versions.  Take a look at some of the spices/herbs I added when I responded to @sidsmom  a few posts back...you might be inspired to be creative and come up with an even better version!  I'm sure it will be delicious!  I put this chili over baked potatoes as well as rice...yum!

@phoenixbrd Taking a little longer is just my speed....it gives me time to chat with the honey and sip some wine.  Smiles. Thank you for your kindness in researching for me.  I truly appreciate it.  I just checked and I have all the needed ingredients so this will be dinner tomorrow!  I cannot wait.  Again, many thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Be Honest...🤔

[ Edited ]

Well, if they aren't older than the U.S. Mint, they add a little something something to a pot of gumbo!  So that's good enough for me.

If you are making Gumbo File the flavor might get a little masked by the File, but otherwise, it is subtle but distinct taste.  To me. 

So be honest, how old are your bay leaves?  Mine are a few months old. 

Super Contributor

It's great that the question was asked.  I didn't know that everyone wasn't familiar with bay leaves until an in-law decided to start using them and throws an average of 14-17 into the pot.  Worse yet, they are never removed.  Because they are dry, which makes them sharp, they are a hazzard if swallowed.  I had to instruct my family to search the food for bay leaves before eating.  This person also cannot be told anything about cooking, such as 1) you are using too many bay leaves, 2) always count how many you put in, and 3) always remove that exact number.  It would cause an "issue".

We live in California, so it is not too difficult to get fresh bay.  Bay trees grow easily here and can be grown in our yards if we choose to.  This relative buys the Costco quantity.  A family does not need so many.  I would suggest buying very small quantities so you will have the freshest leaves on hand.  The flavor is a subtle background flavor, and like others have said, you will miss it if you don't use it.  If used as a whole leaf, its flavor remains subtle.  If you were to try to pulverize it, the flavor becomes very strong.  I once saw it described as smelling like Vicks.  That is the reason it is typically kept whole.   

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

But what....taste does it give?

@sidsmom it's almost a rustic minty thyme type of scent that adds a very different subtle  flavor somewhat the same.  Very hart to explain but it's not a strong herb like basil.  

I've only used dry and like it so much I get it from a girl who imports them from Lakonia Greece.  

If you like dried basil you will probably like Bay.  Dried basil is nothing like fresh and the scent of the basil I dry at the end of the year from my garden is similar to bay. 

Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Bay leaves have a definite scent when I add to a veggie stew, but to be honest I'm not so sure it makes a tremendous culinary impact in most dishes other than adding a bit of "earthy" flavor.  I'm sensitive to herbs and seasonings.  I use it sometimes in soups (always in lentil soup) and veggie stews, but typically not one of my go-tos.

@sidsmom  wish you were here today, after our mainstay green salad today...we had red lentil chili over lemon rice and it turned out soooo goood!  As you would say, all about the seasonings...lots of Frontier Mexican Fiesta, cumin, chipolte chili powder. and smoked paprika, fresh jalapeno, as well as roasted green peppers. Smokin'!

@phoenixbrd I made this for late lunch today and it was marvelous.  This recipe is going into my rotation.  Thanks again for sharing.

Honored Contributor

Re: Be Honest...🤔

[ Edited ]

@Misplaced Parisian  Yea! This recipe is so versatile....continue to enjoy and add a little chopped avo on top!

Honored Contributor

I have used them to get rid of ants.

Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Misplaced Parisian  Yea! This recipe is so versitle....continue to enjoy and add a little chopped avo on top!

@phoenixbrd Giggles, we did!  Great minds. We love avocados.  We had it over a baked potato with a side of steamed broccoli and a divine bottle of vino.  Delish.  Thanks again.