Respected Contributor

so,im making for sister who's hubby just retired bbq pork sandwiches for upcoming party.my baby sis,is a vegetarian, and the smell of any kind of meat,makes her gag.guess that's why she is a so 2.anyway my question is this,for a very tender easily shredding meat,do I get a pork butt with bone in,or is there another cut that's shredding friendly.i am cooking it in my crockpot.also,there will be 15 ppl tops.how many pounds would you buy?sorry for all the questions

Honored Contributor

I would buy a pork butt. They generally weigh 6-8 lbs.

We usually buy the Tyson picnic or shoulder boneless pork roast with net on it from Wal-Mart for pulled pork because they have those that weigh 3-5 lbs. You could buy 2 of these if you don't want the butt. The ones I buy usually look like the first one. I like it better than the huge butt because it seems to have less fat but enough that it is fall apart tender.

The pork butt is too much for us unless we are having company or taking half over to his mom's for everyone to eat. I always make it in the pressure cooker.

DH likes to make the huge pork butt on the Pit Boss.

Tyson® All Natural* Pork Picnic Roast Boneless, 2.8 - 4.6 lb - Walmart.com  - Walmart.com

Tyson® All Natural* Pork Picnic Roast Boneless, 3.0 - 4.6 lb

Honored Contributor

You can use any cut of pork that you want. Figure 1/3# per person plus a little extra if the cut has bones.  Season with a good pork bbq rub and add some liquid to the crockpot. Cook it low and slow 6-8 hrs.  Shred and mix in your favorite bbq sauce.  Watch out for little bone chips as you shred the meat. 

Honored Contributor

Any cut of pork will not work. Don't buy a pork loin roast. It does not make fall apart shredded bbq. 

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

You can use any cut of pork that you want. Figure 1/3# per person plus a little extra if the cut has bones.  Season with a good pork bbq rub and add some liquid to the crockpot. Cook it low and slow 6-8 hrs.  Shred and mix in your favorite bbq sauce.  Watch out for little bone chips as you shred the meat. 

Beg to differ about buying "any cut". A loin roast is not meat that will shred or work as "pulled pork", nor will tenderloin.

Boston butt or picnic shoulder are the right cuts for pulled pork.  Bone in or not won't much matter. 

Your cooking directions with those latter meats are spot on. 

Respected Contributor
Thank you all for suggestions.i think I will go with a pork butt.i will use root beer or dr pepper for liquid.now just have to find a good BBQ sauce.is cookies any good?
Honored Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Beg to differ about buying "any cut". A loin roast is not meat that will shred or work as "pulled pork", nor will tenderloin.

Boston butt or picnic shoulder are the right cuts for pulled pork.  Bone in or not won't much matter. 

Your cooking directions with those latter meats are spot on. 

@gizmogal to each their own, but I've done a loin roast quite successfully.  

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Any cut of pork will not work. Don't buy a pork loin roast. It does not make fall apart shredded bbq. 

That's just not true. There are plenty of pulled pork recipes online using a loin roast,  

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam 

We like Head Country or Sweet Baby Ray's BBq Sauce. 

We are eating baby back ribs today. Yum!!! 

Enjoy your BBQ.

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam  A long long time ago a poster names Inky Dinky Doo posted this recipe for indoor bbq.  I tagged it "Inky Dinky Doo Q" and it has been posted many many times here! 

But it is THE best for indoor bbq and is easy!

Inky Dinky Doo Barbecue

1½ lbs. beef stew meat (cut into bite size pieces)
1½ lbs. PORK LOIN roast (cut into bite size pieces)
2 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped green pepper
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
3 tsp. chili powder
¼ cup vinegar
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste

In slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cook one hour on high. Reduce heat to low and cook for 7 to 9 hours until meat is tender. Shred meat and serve on buns, with or without coleslaw.