Respected Contributor

Cacio e Pepe e Zucca

[ Edited ]

I've had Cacio e Pepe before, but, after watching Jeff Mauro from FoodNetwork demonstrate this version, I immediately added it to this week's menu.  I just finished a serving, and My Oh My!  I gave it 4 stars (I have no 5 stars).  I will most definitely repeat this dish (soon) and am thinking of others I can invite.  

If you don't trust my opinion, got to foodnetwork<dot>com and read reviewers' comments. The recipe has 18  5 Star ratings.

Cacio e Pepe e Zucca 

Level: Easy  Total: 20 min    Active: 10 min   Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound spaghetti
1 ½ cups finely grated Pecorino-Romano, plus additional for serving
1 ½ teaspoons whole black peppercorns, lightly toasted and ground
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
3 Tablespoons pumpkin puree

Place 2 quarts water in a pot and bring to a boil. Salt the water and boil the pasta, stirring frequently, until al dente. Set a strainer over a large heatproof measuring cup in the sink and carefully drain the pasta, reserving 2 cups of pasta water.

Place the Pecorino-Romano in a large bowl and add 1 cup pasta water to the cheese while whisking vigorously. Add the toasted pepper, cream and pumpkin and whisk. Toss in the spaghetti to coat. Season with salt and add additional pasta water if the sauce is too thick. 

Serve immediately, garnishing with additional freshly ground black pepper and freshly grated cheese.
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG   YUM !!! 🍝❤

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG  Would you please verify the quantity of water to cook the spaghetti.  2 qt. for 1 lb. of pasta doesn't sound right.  Looks delish, though. 

Honored Contributor

This sounds very interesting.  Do you think it would freeze?

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne    I've not done it, but have read that cooked pasta freezes well for a few months.  The only caution I've seen is to first coat naked pasta with olive oil to prevent it from sticking together. The sauce should do that, I think.  The other ingredients in the dish are easily freezeable, so I don't see why you couldn't freeze this.    

Respected Contributor

Re: Cacio e Pepe e Zucca

[ Edited ]

@coffee drinker  Of course, you can use as much water as you deem necessary, just be sure to salt it well; however, with less water, this recipe produces a more starchy water, thereby serving as a thickener for the sauce.  And, if you notice, the instructions say to stir often. 

Edited to add:  There's an interesting article entitled How Much Water Does Pasta Really Need? written by Harold McGee in the food section of The New York Times, dated Feb. 24, 2009.  

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@DiAnne    I've not done it, but have read that cooked pasta freezes well for a few months.  The only caution I've seen is to first coat naked pasta with olive oil to prevent it from sticking together. The sauce should do that, I think.  The other ingredients in the dish are easily freezeable, so I don't see why you couldn't freeze this.    

@IamMrsG 

This sounds interesting.  I have been making my own frozen meals because I hate eating the same thing day after day!  Definitely going to try this when it cools off a little.

Esteemed Contributor

I make this often and my hubby loves it. I don't add pumpkin, but do add some lemon zest and a sprinkling of fresh lemon juice. It brightens it up.

Respected Contributor

@riley1  Another really good, but equally quick and simple, pasta dish is Aglio E Olio.  Do you know it?

Respected Contributor

RE:  "I hate eating the same thing day after day!"

@DiAnne    Oh, do I hear that!  Some folks don't believe me, others think I'm half-nuts Woman Wink, but I try not to repeat a dish more than twice a season.  In contrast, I know people who, when they find a dish they especially like, will eat it over and over, until they are sick of it.  I don't see the point of ruining the pleasure.