Esteemed Contributor

BEER BREAD - Show Me the Yummy

I have not made this bread yet ... but it's on my menu for Friday to go with the Lentil & Sausage crock pot soup I'm making Friday for dinner. I'm going to try this recipe first with out variation. But I do think I would like to add jalapeno, cheddar and chives to this and serve next time I make chili. I'm also wondering how it would do to make this as muffins. 

BEER BREAD - Show Me the Yummy

beer bread.PNG

Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup honey
1 (12 oz) bottle beer use whatever you like!
1/4 cup unsalted butter melted

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x5 inch non-stick loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper to remove any lumps.

Add in honey and beer, then whisk until *just* combined.

Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan, then drizzle with melted butter

Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted 1/2" into the top comes out virtually clean (internal temp should be 190 degrees F).

Allow the bread to cool for 5 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack to continue cooling

Variations
Swap the sugar. Try granulated sugar or maple syrup to replace the honey. Use less of any (sugar, syrup, honey) if you’d like a less sweet bread.
Make it non-alcoholic. Try your favorite non-alcoholic beer! I don’t recommend using another carbonated beverage such as a seltzer, because you’ll lose out on so much flavor.
Play around with the seasonings. Omit the garlic powder for fresh or throw in your favorite dried herbs such as rosemary and thyme for some festive flair.
Make it spicy. Try throwing in some canned, diced jalapenos and maybe a pinch of cayenne pepper for a kick!
Try it cheesy. Stir in 1 cup of your favorite shredded cheese.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

Re: BEER BREAD - Show Me the Yummy

[ Edited ]

@kate2357   I just wanted to comment that I have made beer bread for many years and my recipe is much less work.  I use Coors beer as that is the one I found to be the tastiest.

1 bottle or can of beer

3 cups self-rising flour

3 tablespoons of sugar

1 egg

Mix all together at once except put in the beer last.  Put immediately in oven for 45 min.

I received this recipe back in the 80's from a co-worker.  I get all kinds of great comments on it.  But, I don't put other ingredients in it.

Esteemed Contributor

@luvmybeetle 

I've never had any beer bread and am looking forward to trying some to go w/ soups and chili. You're ingredient list looks good too. I like experimenting w/ different recipes, so I may try to do your version too. I don't typically have selfrising flour. Can you use all purpose flour?

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@kate2357 you can make your own self rising flour.  

For every cup of all purpose flour add 1 & 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.  Whisk it together or shake it up in a jar.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@kate2357 you can make your own self rising flour.  

For every cup of all purpose flour add 1 & 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.  Whisk it together or shake it up in a jar.

@CelticCrafter 

Thank you for the helpful information. I've just never had a call for selfrising flour, or if I did I didn't use it ..... probably resulted in a recipe fail. Heaven knows I've had a few recipe fails when I wasn't paying close attention to the actual ingredient list. 

Respected Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

@luvmybeetle 

I've never had any beer bread and am looking forward to trying some to go w/ soups and chili. You're ingredient list looks good too. I like experimenting w/ different recipes, so I may try to do your version too. I don't typically have selfrising flour. Can you use all purpose flour?

I would think you could use regular flour but then you would have to make the other recipe because you will need something that would raise the dough.

Honored Contributor

Makes me wonder why I bought it as a boxed mix. Seems easy to make. I always cubed it and served it with dips. Beer bread with beer dip was popular at work - creative way to drink on the job (just a joke - the dip only had a half cup of beer in it.)

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Makes me wonder why I bought it as a boxed mix. Seems easy to make. I always cubed it and served it with dips. Beer bread with beer dip was popular at work - creative way to drink on the job (just a joke - the dip only had a half cup of beer in it.)

@AuntG 

I just wonder about the texture of the bread ... I will be interested to see how it turns out. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks @kate2357 

This is a new version for me to try!  Interesting with the honey!!!  Def gonna try it.

I have many beer bread recipes...but many will remember Kacky who shared this recipe with us a long time ago. 

Hope you don't mind me posting it!

I make it all the time.  I use Honey Brown Beer.

It is so easy and buttery.....def a dense bread perfect for stews, chilis, etc.

Buttery Beer Bread"                           Sooooo easy and tastes wonderful...

Kacky3208 

s

There are a few recipes for Beer Bread out there, but none as simple (3 minutes prep. time) and tasty as this one.. Sensational with soups, salads or just as a snack, but it won't be around long once your family gets a taste of it.

Be sure to use a sheet pan or foil under your loaf pan to catch any excess butter that may drip during cooking ( I didn't have a problem with that).

Buttery Beer Bread

3 cups all purpose flour, SIFTED
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1-12oz can or bottle of beer
1/2 to 1 cup melted butter

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Sift dry ingredients together into a large bowl. Mix with beer.
3. Pour into a greased or sprayed loaf pan.
4. Pour melted butter over mixture.
5. Bake 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.

1. 6. Updated notes: This recipe makes a very hearty bread with a crunchy buttery crust.

If you prefer a softer crust (like traditional bread), mix the butter into the batter instead of pouring over the top. ENJOY!

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife 

Thanks for posting your recipe. They look very similar. I can't wait ti try it. I will be using Alaskan Amber beer, as that's what my husband likes and what I have in the house.