Super Contributor

Posted this on another thread, but thought I would start a new thread with it so that others can see it if they are looking for a good, easy BBQ Beef recipe. Got it from my sister who has lived in Texas for years and got it from one of her friends down there.

BBQ Beef Brisket

1 cup chili sauce (I use Heinz and use the entire 12 oz bottle so I don't have that little bit left)

2 cups ketchup

1-1/4 cup cola - (if doubliing, use a little less than 2-1/2 cups) - I use Coke

1 pkg French onion soup mix (Mrs. Grass or Knorr onion if you can't find French onion)

1 3-4 pound beef brisket (trimmed)

Stir together first 4 ingredients in small bowl. Place brisket, fat side up, in an aluminum foil-lined 13 x 9 baking pan or a foil pan. (I use the disposable foil pan as this is one recipe where the couple of dollars is worth avoiding the cleanup of the pan). Pour chili sauce mixtrue over brisket. Cover with foil and seal edges. Bake at 350 degress for 3 hours. Remove from ove, let stand 20 minutes. Slice brisket or shred and pour sauce over slices/shreds. (If the brisket had a nice fat layer, I remove that before slicing or shredding. It scrapes off very easily like butter after cooking) Yields 6 servings.

Easy recipe and it is fabulous!

Rocket

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds good. Thank you for posting. I think I will try it this weekend. Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

I will try this in the next few days. I did one from another recipe about two weeks ago and was so disappointed in it. It was a good sized roast from Costco, so I cut it in half and froze one piece. DH said it was good, but I was so disappointed in even the taste. I just adore brisket and there isn't a decent place in town that makes a good one. We just don't have the best barbeque restaurants up here. Your recipe with cola and chili sauce and the rest of the ingredients sounds very very interesting. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting this!

Super Contributor

If you buy the whole one at Costco, you would be far better if you left it whole and cooked it. Leave the entire fat cap on; cook fat side up with whatever fixings you like.

However you cook it, allow the cooked meat to cool in the sauce, preferably overnight. Then and ONLY then, remove the fat cap. Separate the brisket's two sections; each section will have the grain running in a different direction. At this point, you have several options. Divide the cooked brisket into 3 or 4 pieces. When dividing, cut WITH the grain of the meat. This will give you a narrower section to slice later (ACROSS THE GRAIN).

I live alone, but still smoke or oven cook a whole brisket. Generally 10 - 14 pounds. I like to freeze half of the sections submerged separately in containers with beef stock. I slice the other two sections and freeze them covered with beef stock. If you cooked your brisket so you have some cooking liquid, use that instead of the beef stock. Brisket is one of those cuts of beef that turns out better cooked whole, than if you try to cut it up before cooking

Your stored brisket will also have way more flavor if you refrigerate after cooking for several days before freezing.

Having lived, cooked and dined in Texas for many years, and having spent my childhood having brisket at many a sedar, I know and love the stuff. These days, I prefer to slow smoke the brisket, but have been known to 'cheat' and use the oven.

Valued Contributor

Deadeye, your information is right on..I learned so much for all your help Thank you Rocket so much!! This looks wonderful!! Learning to let it set overnight, there is just no comparison to the difference..TY

Brittany

Valued Contributor

This sounds WONDERFUL!! Thanks for sharing. It's on my menu for this weekend!

Super Contributor

Deadeye is right on with her advice. I use a whole beef brisket from Costco and then freeze one half for later use. If we are eating same day, allowing to cool for 20-30 minutes is a must before splitting, carving, shredding. Hope you enjoy. Also, as a reminder, using a disposable foil pan for this recipe is well worth it and save so much in the cleanup. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!

Valued Contributor
Thanks for sharing. Looks yummy!
Super Contributor

I have a brisket from our 1/4 cow and this is how I am fixing it.

Regular Contributor
Looks great. Have you ever tried this in a roaster? Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.