Trusted Contributor

I'm trying to eat a bit more healthy. I have tasted a Salad with Quinoa and it was fine. I'm thinking of making unstuffed green pepper soup tonight if I can find a recipe I like. Now back to the Quinoa, I want to replace this with rice since my Hubby will not eat rice. I have never cooked with this. the box says pre rinsed should I still rinse it? I think I read it's 2 parts liquid and 1 part Quinoa? Could I cook it in the soup or separately? If you have a green pepper soup recipe you love can you please share? Thanks Katey Smile

Contributor
I go ahead and rinse the prerinsed again on the recommendation of some online recipes. I have cooked it separately and then added to soup and also put it in the soup before cooking.....both have been successful. I can't remember if the ratio is 2:1 for cooking, but that sounds right...I have used whatever ratio is on the package directions. I often cook it in broth or add seasonings if cooking it separately. In fact, it's on tomorrow's menu!
Trusted Contributor

Thank you CookyJ for replying so quickly I really do appreciate it. I think I will cook it separately this time and see how it goes. What recipe are you cooking the Quinoa with? I may also try this in my Stuffed Peppers maybe.

Respected Contributor

Definitely rinse quinoa as you would rinse rice or other grains, legumes. Very east to cook. Similar to rice. Google directions if you need them. EnjoySmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor
On 2/5/2014 Skylands said:

Definitely rinse quinoa as you would rinse rice or other grains, legumes. Very east to cook. Similar to rice. Google directions if you need them. EnjoySmiley Happy

Thank you Skylands I plan to rinse. Smile

Valued Contributor

Yes, rinse. Otherwise you get a bitter, metallic taste. After rinsing, I like to sauté the quinoa in a small pan in a little olive oil, to give it a light golden color.

Trusted Contributor
On 2/5/2014 2cockers1cat said:

Yes, rinse. Otherwise you get a bitter, metallic taste. After rinsing, I like to sauté the quinoa in a small pan in a little olive oil, to give it a light golden color.

Thanks 2cockers1cat I will rinse very well. I like your tip to sauté it. How long do you sauté it? I planned on simmering with beef broth and then add that to my soup.

Valued Contributor
On 2/5/2014 Katey1261 said:

Thanks 2cockers1cat I will rinse very well. I like your tip to sauté it. How long do you sauté it? I planned on simmering with beef broth and then add that to my soup.

Maybe 3-4 minutes? never timed it. I'll look for my tabbouleh that uses quinoa and post later.

Trusted Contributor

I used to rinse mine but don't anymore and it tastes fine. Perhaps what I buy you don't have to rinse as I have noticed on some brands it says to rinse and it doesn't on others. Think what I've been buying lately doesn't say to rinse it. I try to avoid wheat products so really like quinoa as a ""starchy"" food and prefer it to rice. I like to sauté some diced onion and garlic in a little olive or coconut oil before adding my quinoa and water. I use 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water (or chicken broth sometimes).

My favorite way to prepare it lately is in my Ninja 3 n 1 Multi-Cooker. I just sauté the onion and garlic on the stovetop setting then add the quinoa and water. I then put some fish on the steamer rack and place in the pot (on top of the quinoa and water). Set it at the oven setting at 350 for about 10 minutes and it's all done. Delicious!

Valued Contributor
On 2/5/2014 Katey1261 said:

Maybe 3-4 minutes? never timed it. I'll look for my tabbouleh that uses quinoa and post later.

• 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 1 3/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped seeded tomato (I halve cherry tomatoes)
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint or parsley (I use mint)
  • 1/4 cup raisins (or chopped, dried apricots)
  • 1/4 cup chopped cucumber ( I use the tiny English style)
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons minced fresh onion (I skip this)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation:

1. Rinse quinoa. (Optional, then sauté in small amount of olive oil to lightly toast)
  2. Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; Stir with a fork to separate grains. When cool, stir in tomato and remaining ingredients. Cover; let stand 1 hour. Serve chilled or at room temperature.