Honored Contributor

Re: A QUESTION ABOUT GRITS ....

Both of my grandmothers made mush as a hot breakfast cereal; cook cornmeal in salted water until it thickens like oatmeal, and add sugar, butter, syrup, whatever you like.  

Anything left in the pot, my farm grandma would drop into hot bacon grease and fry for lunch or supper.  I liked my mush fried with syrup.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a seafood restaurant near us that served "Fried grits wedges" made from left over grits as a specialty.  Sell loads of them!

Pour leftover grits (without butter or milk) in a pan, put in fridge to cool, cut into pieces and fry in hot oil!  Yum!

Not many people on here have enjoyed grits like I always have in my life.  Yes, they can be eaten like Cream of Wheat, with milk and sugar.  But...

Bacon, Eggs and a Toast - The Daily Gullet - eGullet Forums

Heaven on a plate!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Shrimp and Grits

Prepare all ingredients before beginning recipe.  It moves quickly and you won’t have time to measure, chop and slice once the cooking starts.  Start with the shrimp! Remember 3t = 1 T.

Shrimp:

• 24        Shrimp
  • 1T        Cajun seasoning (I like Paul Prudomme)
  • ½ T      paprika
  • ½ T      dried Italian seasoning
  • --          Freshly ground black pepper to taste?

Grits:

• 2 C      chicken broth
  • 1 T       butter 
  • ½ C     quick grits (recommended: Quaker)
  • ½ T      tomato paste
  • 1/3 C   heavy whipping cream (canned milk works)
  • 11/2     oz extra-sharp Cheddar
  • Add extra chicken broth to keep creamy

Sauce:

• 1 T       butter (or grease from sausage)
  • ½ T      minced garlic
  • 1 ½ T   all-purpose flour
  • ½ C     chicken stock
  • ¼ C     cup heavy whipping cream
  • ½ t       Worcestershire sauce ??
  •  dash   hot sauce  Omit if you don’t like hot
  • ½         link sausage.  Cut about as many pieces (1/8 inch) as you have shrimp

Directions

First, peel and devein the shrimp. In a small bowl, combine Cajun seasoning, paprika, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the shrimp to coat well and set the shrimp aside.

Next, make your grits. In a medium saucepan, bring chicken broth and 2 tablespoons butter to a boil. Slowly add the grits, whisking often with wire whisk for 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, cream, and cheese. Keep whisking for another 2 or 3 minutes until the grits become creamy.

Now saute the shrimp. Cook sausage in a large sauté pan until done.  Add minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add in the spice-coated shrimp, and cook (in a single layer) only until they're just done and tender. Don't overcook; they are done when they curl on the edges. Remove the shrimp from the saute pan and set them aside in a bowl.

The roux is next. With all those wonderful drippings from the shrimp in the saute pan, adjust grease to 3 Tablespoons.  Add 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and stir with a wooden spatula to make a roux. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes until roux reaches a medium-tan color, then slowly add the chicken broth and heavy cream. Whisk together and cook for 2 minutes, then whisk in Worcestershire sauce.  Add the cooked sausage and shrimp. Take off heat.

To serve, and this is the best part-place a few heaping spoonfuls of steaming cheese grits onto a plate, top with several sizzling shrimp in that wonderful roux sauce over top. Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

Lots of good recipes and suggestions here.

'Funny' that, just yesterday, I ran across an unopened box of grits.  Best by Dec 2020.

So, at the time (yesterday) I googled searched and found that they are probably still safe to cook.

Kept in a cool, temperature stable place.

I usually cooked grits savory, but now I'm going to try them 'sweet' in hot cereal form. Maybe topped with canned apricot or peach halves?  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

You grits may be safe to eat but they may not cook up soft and creamy anymore. 

Hope your adventure is a success.  Try new ones!

Respected Contributor

Shrimp and Grits is one dish where it's actually better to have two cooks in the kitchen working on it.

Esteemed Contributor

Making Shrimp & Grits moves quickly.  Worth the time!

Honored Contributor

Grits are usually made from corn ... right?   Or other grains, too?

Esteemed Contributor

Grits are ground corn.  

The finer grind of corn is cornmeal.  It is used to make mush.

I like the longer cooking stone ground grits.  Gonna make some for breakfast!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Grits are usually made from corn ... right?   Or other grains, too?

Corn