Honored Contributor

Re: A QUESTION ABOUT GRITS ....

[ Edited ]

I make baked grits from a recipe I saved out of a very old Cook's Country magazine:

2 tbsp butter

1 small onion, chopped

3 cups water

1 cup heavy cream

1/4 tsp salt

1 cup + 2 tbsp old-fashioned grits

2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

3 eggs, beaten

Cook onion in butter in saucepan until softened.  Stir in water, cream, and salt and bring to boil.  Whisk in grits and stir over low heat until thick and creamy.

Off heat, stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese and eggs.  Pour into greased 9X9" baking dish and bake for 1/2 hour at 350 degrees.  Sprinkle with rest of cheese and bake 15 more minutes to brown.  Let sit 5 minutes.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It became quite the thing to dress grits up with cheese and other good stuff and serve it as a side with dinner.  One of my sister's favorites is shrimp and grits served at a very fancy restaurant. I personally pass on grits.  If you order a full breakfast in the South, you'll assuredly get a serving on your plate.

Let me start out by saying I have never eaten grits. Also, I have always lived in the north. The most I have ever heard of grits was from the movie "My Cousin Vinny". But when we went to Disney at Christmas both my son and husband ordered a dinner that came with a side of grits. Both of them raved about how good the grits were. They both talked about the grits more than the main entree.

I am so tempted to try and cook grits. But I do not have a clue what about the grits they ate that were so good.

Honored Contributor

I love Cream of Wheat and oatmeal, but am not a fan of grits!   Sugar, butter, syrup, or cheese does not make grits tasty enough for me to eat them.   

Mom never cooked grits for us at home, and I have never cooked them for my family.  

I am familiar with grits being served with all meals; like a hot cereal for breakfast, and often in place of rice or potatoes with lunch and dinner.   Grits are very southern based, while in my area of WV, we choose potatoes for our starch.

Valued Contributor

I grew up in the south, even though my parents were from Chicago, they loved grits.  We usually had for breakfast but since I had my own family had them when I could not figure out what to eat for that night.   They are best if not instant, I like them plain with butter, salt and pepper. My DH always put sugar in his.   But you can make anyway you like.   I have had shrimp and grits and you can make with fish and hush puppies.   Staple in my pantry.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

It became quite the thing to dress grits up with cheese and other good stuff and serve it as a side with dinner.  One of my sister's favorites is shrimp and grits served at a very fancy restaurant. I personally pass on grits.  If you order a full breakfast in the South, you'll assuredly get a serving on your plate.

Let me start out by saying I have never eaten grits. Also, I have always lived in the north. The most I have ever heard of grits was from the movie "My Cousin Vinny". But when we went to Disney at Christmas both my son and husband ordered a dinner that came with a side of grits. Both of them raved about how good the grits were. They both talked about the grits more than the main entree.

I am so tempted to try and cook grits. But I do not have a clue what about the grits they ate that were so good.

@drizzellla 

Many, many years ago there was a TV series called Alice, starring Linda Lavin.  She was a waitress and another waitress working there was a sassy woman named Flo. 

I still remember the line Flo would use .... "You can kiss my grits".   I really had no idea what that meant.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote

@drizzellla 

Many, many years ago there was a TV series called Alice, starring Linda Lavin.  She was a waitress and another waitress working there was a sassy woman named Flo. 

I still remember the line Flo would use .... "You can kiss my grits".   I really had no idea what that meant.

The TV show "Alice" is on Antenna TV. It is on M - F at 11 - 12 PM. 

Esteemed Contributor

Where I live in the midwest, I very rarely, if ever, see them on the menu.  I've had them for breakfast and dinner in the south.  I have no idea how to make them but when I've gotten them, they always have cheese.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Maybe it's sacrilege, but back in the day when I used to eat them DH and I would often go to Cracker Barrel for breakfast on Saturdays.  I'd always put butter and sugar on them so they tasted like cream of wheat or farina.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 - Like others, I grew up eating them. My mom made them for my dad every morning to go with his eggs. I like to eat them plain with a little Smart Balance n top (or butter if I'm out).

I like them SO much better than oatmeal!

I have a really good recipe for shrimp and grits and one for a casserole made with Gruyere cheese if anyone would like one or both!   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla    I don't eat grits either but if you want to try them, @deepwaterdotter  's recipe above sounds good.  There's enough onion and good flavors to make anything taste good.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment