Honored Contributor

Re: Let me apologize first... re: Albany irvin

[ Edited ]

@Karotsy wrote:

Never heard that before just curious what does it mean, she is affected?

To be "affected," means that a person is taking on some type of characteristic that is not really inherent to that person, usually for some intended purpose. For example, a person who knows very little about wine might want to impress his friends who are connoiseurs by spouting wine terms and as if he is knowledgeable.

It's often used to describe someone who is trying to be something he is not. It's similar to "putting on airs."

In this case, the affectation is in a way the opposite. This host plays the whole Southern/country girl schtick in order to appeal to what may be a significant demographic for QVC.

Some might enjoy it. I find it very grating.

ETA: @Karotsy

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

She is over the top especially with male vendors. I don't need to be entertained, just give me the specks of whatever you are selling.  

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@DoneTryin wrote:

Does apologizing first prevent threads like this from getting poofed?

giggle.gif

Sometimes.  It is another way of saying "I don't mean to sound mean, but (I'm going to say something mean)."  See, it makes everything ok!  LOL!!!Woman Wink

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

Albany's a hoot. When she tries to sell something she looks like she is auditioning for a role in "Steel Magnolias."  One gets the impression that this is just a short term job leading to bigger and better things. Best of luck to her....she's going to need it.

QVC Social Team

Valued Contributor

contrived "folksey" and not workin...because she is overbearing.

Valued Contributor

Problem is...she is talkin to the whole country. Yee haw!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't mind her folksy phrases (oh my stars and garters) it's the rest of her personna that I find irritating which makes me turn the channel....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
New Contributor

I'm new to this forum, and I just have to say how disappointed I am with many comments I'm seeing here. This is an open letter to all to remember that you're talking about hard-working average people. There is no reason to see all of these attacks. Stop hurting people! I personally don't want to see this. It seems easy as we are anonymous, but how would you feel to be attacked like this. One example would be telling a host that she looks awful in prints!  We all have our own own style.

we need to support or laugh with these guys and gals not give them more burdens to bear. We are all unique and special. 

Please just use a 5 second rule before you post something and put yourselves in their shoes first, then push submit.

it's simply bullying!!A

Again , this isn't directed at any one post. I'm still learning how to do this. Please let me want to be a part of this forum.

thanks, be kind.