Esteemed Contributor

Re: ''Wind chill factor''...???

@AuntG wrote:

I'll be Sweden and say you both are right😁. It's been said there is no such thing as wind chill on inanimate objects, like a car, but the wind on bare skin feels colder than the temperature registering on a thermometer.

@AuntG - I agree! But I think you mean Switzerland, not Sweden.  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The National Weather Service uses a formula:

Calculate the wind chill using the National Weather Service's new formula. Multiply the temperature by 0.6215 and then add 35.74. Subtract 35.75 multiplied by the wind speed calculated to the 0.16 power. Finally, add 0.4275 multiplied by temperature, multiplied by wind speed calculated to the 0.16 power.

Thanks for the info but I think I'll just continue to use the weather app on my phone, they calculate it fo me LOL

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You are obviously right @loriqvc . I knew one of those countries stays neutral.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The National Weather Service uses a formula:

Calculate the wind chill using the National Weather Service's new formula. Multiply the temperature by 0.6215 and then add 35.74. Subtract 35.75 multiplied by the wind speed calculated to the 0.16 power. Finally, add 0.4275 multiplied by temperature, multiplied by wind speed calculated to the 0.16 power.

@Kachina624 -

Haha! Why yes, I do this everyday!Woman LOL

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

My DH and I go 'round and 'round about the 'wind chill factor'.  He said there is no way that anybody can calculate that.  I'm looking for some back up here...Do you have any info on that?  He wants to know if there is any kind of instrument that calculates it? Thanks

@sarahpanda Tell him he is VERY wrong and should know better!  Woman Wink  Tell him human beings and computers can easily calculate wind chill.

Obviously he doesn't live in Oklahoma or he'd know that.  The wind blows all the time here and we are very weather aware!

Tell him he owes you dinner out!  Woman Very Happy  Tell him I said so!  Woman Tongue

Respected Contributor

I just like to know the temperature.  I don't need wind chill and I don't need heat index.  Why make matters worse?  Nothing you can do about the weather anyway.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

I just like to know the temperature.  I don't need wind chill and I don't need heat index.  Why make matters worse?  Nothing you can do about the weather anyway.

@jellyBEAN  I was going to say the same thing. They probably use the a formular to calculate the wind chill like they use a formular to calculate the heat index.  The wind chill and the heat index just makes us feel even more awful than the temperature does.  I live in the south and when they start with the heat index I feel like never going outside. I'm sure this is important information to know but i really don't want to think about this. 

Honored Contributor

This thread is in the Q Talk forum.  Does it have anything at all to do with QVC?